The Court of Miracles

Hello everyone! I hope you're having a great summer so far! Here's the newest chapter, enjoy!

P.S. I do not own the song or lyrics in this chapter, nor do I own Hunchback of Notre Dame or Young Justice. I don't own any pictures either.

Esmeralda's POV

"Emmi, Emmi! Play wif us?"

The littler toddler, Samuel, asks me to play excitedly, the other children gathering around me and pulling on my skirts and sleeves. 

I can't help but laugh at their excitement, acquiescing easily. I got back to the Court of miracles rather quickly after making sure Phoebus was taken care of with Quasi, but apparently not quick enough if the children's worry and complaints are any indication. Everyone's been worried ever since Frollo....well. 

I tell them I'm fine, but it doesn't stop them from worrying. Hopefully acting like everything is normal and playing with the children will ease their fears. 

So, with a smile on my face, I let the children drag me around, gripping my sleeves tightly. 

"Well, well, if you all are strong enough to drag me around, I'm sure you're strong enough to help the elders with the chores, hm?"

"No way!" Elliot says with childish disgust, making me snort. "Besides, you're not hard to pull at all! You're super light, like a feather!"

Well. Ouch. 

There goes the small sense of masculinity I actually had.

"Oh, Esmeralda! How lovely to see you, dear. Are you alright? With everything that's happening...let us know if you need a break from chores. No one will blame you; you know Clopin has double the men at the entrance to help protect you. You really shouldn't have been outside at all, deary. It's far too dangerous for you." 

"Madame Felicie(fuh-lee-see), it's nice to see you as well. I'm perfectly fine, thank you for your concern." I smile gently at her; she's only trying to protect me after all. "Clopin's always been overprotective, but I promise, I'm perfectly fine. I know how to avoid Frollo."

The old woman still looks concerned, but thankfully drops the subject. Everyone here knows how good I am at avoiding Frollo's guards and the man himself. You pick up a few things, being out on the streets most of your life. Well, second life. 

The kids have burned through all their patience, however, and have begun to drag me off again. I giggle softly, giving Madame Felicie a parting nod as she chuckles at the children's antics. 

"I'll be by later to help you with the laundry, Madame!"

"Alright, thank you dear! Have fun!" 

The children pull me away, asking questions rapid fire with little to no time to answer them. 

"What were you doing outside?"

"Why is Clopin freaking out about what you're doing more than usual?"

"Were you with someone?"

"Who is it??!"

"Is it a boy?"

"Or a girl?"

"Or a gargoyle?"

"A gargoyle?! What are you talking about??"

"I don't know, it was just a question!"

"Have you kissed anyone?"

"Who are those people?"

Amongst the onslaught of, rather invasive and personal, questions, I'm confused by the one at the end. Who are those people? Who are who? Everyone in the Court knows each other.