Resolution

Hey everyone! I know, I know, I thought I would have been able to update sooner, but you know how life can get in the way sometimes. Anyway, new chapter is here, so hope it was worth the wait! Enjoy!

Esmeralda's POV

Carried in Bruce Wayne's arms and rushed towards the Wayne Enterprise vehicles below, I squeeze Kaldur's hand weakly. It's obvious he's worried, all of them are; it's not difficult to tell with how fast they're moving and how they've closed ranks around Batman and me. 

Any other day, I might find this situation impossible. 

I'm being carried like a princess by THE BATMAN and holding Aqualad's hand. Heheh. 

I feel high. Or maybe that's the smoke inhalation. I think Mr. Wayne said something along those lines...?

Another round of coughing breaks me from my thoughts, and both Mr. Wayne and Kaldur tighten their holds on me, as the others start running faster. 

I absently think they should be careful, if they run too fast people might question who they really are. 

It wouldn't be good if Barry Allen suddenly disappeared in a flash. Pfft, flash. 

But seriously, has there always been so many stairs in this place? Just watching them run is making me tired...

"Esmeralda, stay awake." Mr. Wayne, oh but that really sounded like it came from Batman, orders me softly, but firmly. "Just keep your eyes open."

And yeah, that's probably a good idea, but I'm really tired and it feels like I'm not getting enough air. Can't I just sleep for a second...?

Third POV

At this moment the heroes finally reach the doors of the Cathedral and waste no time flinging them open and heading towards the largest Wayne vehicle, a private jet, in front of which stands a dapper older gentleman with a simple black mask over the upper half of his face. The eyes of the mask widen when they land on the barely conscious young boy in his employer's arms and quickly rushes over to them pushing along a stretcher. However, before the gypsy can be laid down, the boy sees some familiar faces and calls out in a hoarse voice. 

"Quasimodo, Phoebus." The aforementioned two immediately come forward and stare concernedly at the fiery boy they had come to know. Their concern grows as they take in his pale pallor and his labored breathing. 

The boy opens his mouth to speak, but breaks into another coughing fit, and the masked gentleman ignores everyone else as he and Mr. Wayne gently lower the gypsy onto the stretcher and slip an oxygen mask over his face, Aqualad never losing his grip on the boy's wrist. 

The masked gentleman then turns to Quasimodo and Phoebus. 

"You both clearly mean something to this boy, so I will be honest with you. His condition is very fragile at this moment, and he needs medical attention. As it is, he will not receive the help that he needs here. We are going to bring him with us to a private hospital in the states. There, we will ensure he makes a full recovery. You may have a moment to say goodbye, but the sooner we leave, the sooner he can receive help. It may be a while before you see him again."

The two men meet each other's eyes, and there is something sad, but resolute there. 

Phoebus turns to the older man. "We understand. We want the best for Esmeralda, and frankly, after everything that's happened here, well...Esmeralda may not want to come back here. He may want to stay with...certain people." At this, he looks over at Aqualad, and stares at him seriously for a moment. Aqualad, for his part, meets the soldiers gaze steadily, squeezing Esmeralda's hand tighter. Phoebus' gaze flits down, before warming.