The Storm is Over

Hiya guys! After the long wait, we finally have a chapter out! Enjoy!!

P.S. I do not own any pictures or songs in this chapter, nor do I own YJ or Hunchback of Notre Dame. 

Heroes POV

Once the masked gentleman settled Esmeralda into a bed in one of the jets private rooms, he closes the door gently behind him before meeting the heroes in the main lounge area. 

The moment the door is shut, everyone in the room immediately turns towards him, waiting for the verdict. 

"How is he?" Bruce Wayne asks tersely. 

The gentleman sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose tiredly, "he should recover. However, we won't be able to determine the extent of damage to his lungs until we reach the hospital. For now, the oxygen mask should suffice to help him breathe, and I've set him up with an IV to hydrate him; the heat from the fire certainly didn't help his condition."

The group goes quiet at that, silently glad that the awful judge responsible for the young gypsy's pain is getting his dues. 

Robin and Aqualad abruptly stand, walking quickly towards the room Esmeralda is resting in. Before they can get to the door, the elderly gentleman stops them. 

"I know you are worried," the man says softly, "but it's best now to let the boy rest. He has been through quite the ordeal, but you may visit him when he wakes."

Unhappy with that answer, but understanding the logic, the two grudgingly sit back down in silence beside their team members. 

The silence in the room echoed, until a sudden bleat interrupted the weighted atmosphere. To everyone's shock, a very familiar goat stumbles out of one of the cupboards on the plane, shaking off some dust. 

"Isn't that Esmeralda's goat?" Robin asks curiously.  

At hearing his owners name, the goat looks around at the people in the room briefly, before shaking his head in dismissal and walking over to the door that coincidentally led to Esmeralda's room. 

"Uh, should we be offended?" Kid Flash asks, referring to being dismissed instantly by a goat, "and should we stop him?"

The goat, not even pausing at the door, instantly rams into it and knocks it open, calmly trotting the rest of the way in without looking back. 

"You can try," Superboy says, eyes amused. The sentiment is clearly reciprocated, and the atmosphere lightens a bit as some of the adults chuckle. 

"Quite a loyal companion," the elderly man comments with a quirk of the lips. 

"Indeed." Bruce smiles. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Esmeralda's POV

Waking up feels like a chore; everything hurts. My chest, throat, and eyes burn, and it feels like I have a fever because my body feels hot and heavy. 

Plus, it feels like I'm laying on something comfortable for once, and it's lovely. I think I'll just go back to sleep...

A loud bleat next to me dashes that thought. 

"Shh Djali," I rasp, immediately wincing at the pain in my chest and dryness in my throat. At least Djali seems to be okay, as when I open my eyes, he is suddenly laying on my legs, tiny tail wiggling happily.