The Pyre

IT IS TIME, Y'ALL! THE PYRE! HERE YOU GO:))) P.S. I do not own any music or pictures in this chapter. Enjoy!

In the bowels of Frollo's dungeons, a young boy dressed in rags leans against the wall of the moldy cell he is imprisoned in, staring out the small, barred window he is provided. 

The cell is bare, only the window and the bucket in the corner as his companions. The boy is not even afforded a bed, though this means little to him.

The boy stares wistfully out the window and into the silence, begins to sing. 

I used to believe

In the days I was naive
That I'd live to see
A day of justice dawn
And though I will die
Long before that morning comes
I'll die while believing still
It will come when I am gone

Someday
When we are wiser
When the world's older
When we have learned
I pray
Someday we may yet live
To live and let live

Someday
Life will be fairer
Need will be rarer
Greed will not pay
Godspeed
This bright millennium
On its way
Let it come someday

Someday
When we are wiser
When the world's older
When we have learned
I pray
Someday we may yet live
To live and let live

There are some days
Black and bitter
It seems we haven't got a prayer

But a prayer for something better

Is the one thing we all share

We all share
We all share

We all share...
Someday
Our fight will be one then
We'll stand in the sun then
That bright afternoon
Till then
On days when the sun is gone
Hope lives on
Wish upon the moon
Change will come

One day...

Someday...

Soon

As Esmeralda finishes his song, a quiet, awed voice speaks up from just outside the cell. 

"Esmeralda?"

The boy's head whips around, and there, standing by the bars outside the cell is Kaldur. The teen is watching him with awe and worry in his eyes. 

In shock, Esmeralda rushes forward and grips the bars of his cell worriedly. "Kaldur? What are you doing here?" 

"I came to get you; you're not staying here." The teen wears a determined expression as he places his hands overtop that of the gypsies. 

Esmeralda's eyes are sad as he shakes his head, "you can't."

"I can," Kaldur insists, tightening his grip on the gypsy's hands. 

"Kaldur, you can't. If I escape Frollo will never stop looking for me. He'll never stop hurting my people. I have to stay here."

" I can't leave you here. We will help your people, but you have to let me help you first! Please, Esmeralda."

Kaldur leans towards the bars, eyes looking imploringly into beautiful, but sad emerald green. 

The two teens jolt when they hear the sound of footsteps approaching. 

"It's the guards," Esmeralda says quietly. "Kaldur, you have to go."

Kaldur begins to shake his head, but Esmeralda touches his cheek through the bars, making the protégé meet his eyes. 

"Kaldur," he says gently, "go."

As the footsteps get closer, Kaldur softly caresses Esmeralda's hands and places his forehead on the bars. 

"We will save you; I promise."