Mistake

This work is gifted to LarkinUniverse in ao3 and the cover is designed by ricecustard. I can't find a suitable cover and I have zero art skills so I selected this cover as it is the closest to this story. (Kind of)

*****

"Ew! What is that?" Yuriko gagged, staring suspiciously at the two test tubes her partner was holding.

Once again, the masochist was up to no good.

"Relax! Uhehe..." Midari cackled. "I'm just playing a small prank! It's for the twins! It's gonna give them big ears, small eyes, three more legs and cause them to lose all their fur and hair!"

"What?! Are you crazy? No! I'm not letting you! We're going to get killed! You always get caught!"

"Nonsense, I've become a master after years of experience honing my skills," the  werewolf said dismissively. She licked her lips as she dumped the contents of the respective test tubes into two separate wine glasses that were already filled with Whimsical Nightfall.

"Look how it just disappears completely into the drink!" Midari exclaimed in delight. "Oh man, I can't wait to see Sayaka freak out when her beloved starts to shed and bald!"

Yuriko rolled her eyes as Midari proceeded to cackle and dance around the gigantic dining hall while wearing a paper crown on her head.

"I'm the King! Hohoho!"

This wasn't going to go well.

*****

"What a feast!" Yumeko giggled at the smorgasbord of tantalising delicacies on the luxurious table.

"Oh! Today's drink is Whimsical Nightfall!" Sayaka gasped in excitement.

"Mhm," Kirari chuckled as she wrapped her tails around her human wife, who blushed at this. Carrying her wife in her arms, she sat her down on her lap, nuzzling her neck with a soft purr.

"Geez, can't you guys live a day without flirting?" Mary grumbled as everyone else took their respective seats. She went quiet, however, as Ririka pecked her on the cheek.

A while later and everyone was digging into the food. As usual, Kaede was lonely, Midari was rowdy and quarreling with Mary, and Kirari and Sayaka were being annoyingly affectionate with each other.

Kirari's left eye glowed and she let out a low soothing growl, tightening her grip on her wife and kissing the top of her head. Her Kitsune side simply loved Sayaka too much and took every chance to show her love for her.

The glow disappeared shortly after and the Kitsune Queen offered her wife her drink.

Midari paused at this sight, paling instantly. 'Shit! I forgot those two like to exchange drinks just for the fun of it!'

Beside her, Yuriko started to tremble and she grabbed Midari's hand in terror, her Kitsune ears flattening against her head in fear.

As Sayaka raised the glass to her lips, Midari slammed her hands on the table, startling everyone and stalling her friend's hand.

"What is it now? You lost your revolver?" Yumemi groaned.

"I think Kirari and Sayaka shouldn't switch drinks, we've had enough PDA today," Midari said hurriedly.

"But you like them to be affectionate so you can add pictures to your Kirasaya album," Ririka said, frowning.

"Nyahaha!" Runa cackled. "A little bit suspicious, aren't we?"

"That plant looks like Itsuki," Kaede sighed. "Oh why did she leave me for that Russian fiend?"

"You are acting suspicious," Yumemi noted, narrowing her eyes at the werewolf.

"Is something else wrong, Ikishina? Are you alright?" Saori asked worriedly.

Mary rolled her eyes as she took Ririka's drink.

"I don't see the problem. What, is it illegal to drink your partner's drink? Don't you know food tastes better when it belongs to other people? Don't fuck with us!"

And with that, she downed the drink in one gulp.

At the same time, Sayaka also ignored Midari after hearing Mary's comment and also downed the drink in one mouthful.

"What the hell! Why would you two——" Midari shouted.

"Hey, I feel a little strange," Mary said, gasping as her voice turned high-pitched at the last word of her sentence.

Sayaka nodded in agreement. "It feels... ab...abnor..." She frowned. "I can't piece the word together, which is strange considering that it is an extremely easy word to say——" She let out a squeak as she began to shrink, her clothes shrinking with her.

Mary cursed as the same thing happened to her.

"What the—that's not supposed to..." Midari mumbled.

With a "poof!" and a cloud of mist, Mary and Sayaka had transformed into toddlers.

Everyone else turned to look at Midari, who could only think of two words.

"Oh fuck."