Chapter 31- One Last Effort

Noelle stared up at the swirling orange energy above her as she lay flat on the Healers' table. It was quite mesmerizing, the thing the doctors on Asgard called a "Soul Forge." She suspected they somehow harnessed the Force in order to operate it. Whatever it was, they were using it to view the powerful, red liquid thing inside her, and for the first time, Noelle was able to get a good look at it herself.

It was difficult to explain, but something about it reminded her of shattered glass, while at the same time, it was certainly liquified. The strength of the Force she had felt when she first encountered it was immeasurable, but now? It was tougher for her to detect. She knew it was inside her because she felt like she had been poisoned. Her whole body ached, and she was still weak, but these Asgardian doctors hadn't asked her any questions as to how she felt, which she thought was odd. However, she did overhear Thor conversing with one of them.

"This is not of Earth. What is it?" he asked.

"We do not know," the physician replied grimly. "But she will not survive the amount of energy surging within her."

Noelle felt her heart stop for a moment. Then she reminded herself that it was likely a miracle she had survived at all. Her theory was that the only reason she was able to maintain this amount of energy was due to the special powers she had gotten from the Mind Stone.

"There has to be a way to get it out of me though, right?" she blurted out aloud. "If it came in, it has to come out..." She looked at Thor as she said it, wondering what he thought, but his eyebrows were only creased in concern, and he said nothing.

One of the doctors above her answered. "We do not even know what it is, dear. Let alone how to remove it from you."

Noelle clenched her teeth. She would figure out a way to save herself if she had to. She was grateful to Thor for bringing her here, but there had to be another way.

"My words are mere noises to you that you ignore them completely?" came a sudden voice.

Thor seemed to know who it was. "She's ill," he replied to it, turning away from Noelle and the doctors.

"Illness is their defining trait. They're mortal."

Noelle forced herself shakily into a sitting position, bringing her face-to-face with an elderly, regal man wearing an eyepatch and grey and gold armor. She knew who he was immediately from those books on Norse mythology she had read back at S.H.I.E.L.D.

"Odin," she whispered before she could stop herself. She didn't know why she had such a running mouth today. Normally she could control herself.

The Allfather must have heard her because he narrowed his eyes. "Noelle Smith."

She frowned. "How do you know my–"

"Thor has told me all about you," he replied abruptly. "But it is time for you to leave now. Guards, take her back to Midgard."

"NO I WOULD NOT–" Thor screamed.

There was an explosion of red as one of the guards laid a hand on her. Noelle did not go flying backwards this time, but it was no less painful, and she hadn't even sensed it coming. Her ability to feel was fading slightly a little bit more every time this happened. And her thoughts were clouded too.

What is happening to me?

Vaguely, she was aware of Thor's hand on her head. "Noelle, are you alright?"

She managed a nod, but couldn't process much thought until her mind was clear. However, she did feel Odin brushing his fingers lightly over her arm.

"It's impossible," he said. It was the first time Noelle had heard him sound surprised. Did he know what it was?