Chapter 41- A New Beginning

This is just a collage I made for this story years ago before I even began writing this series. Just thought I'd share.

______

"This is a new day, a new beginning." - Ahsoka Tano

- Star Wars Rebels: Fire Across the Galaxy

Noelle watched the sun setting over London. From Bern's rooftop, it was quite a lovely sight to behold. It was much more difficult to view anything indoors, she mused.

Thor had only been gone for about three days, having gone back to Asgard to settle matters with his father and hopefully get the Aether into safe hands. There was no one she trusted more than him to keep one of the Infinity Stones safe. However, when he returned... that posed a bigger challenge.

Noelle mulled over her options. She had little money, and no resources outside of Tony Stark, who she hadn't spoken to in months. She knew she had to give him a call sooner rather than later. Not only to check in on how he was doing, but to let him know where she would be. She wasn't coming home after the holidays.

Darkness finally settled, and Noelle stayed crouched on the edge of the roof, hugging her knees to her chest. The night air was clear and there was a beautiful breeze. Despite the fact that it was pretty cold outside, Noelle felt no desire to go in. She needed the quiet so she could think.

"You're a difficult person to get ahold of, Smith," came a sudden voice. "You also leave quite a mess behind."

Startled, Noelle jumped up in shock as Nick Fury emerged from the shadows. "You scared me," she said with a scowl.

"Sorry about that," said Fury, not sounding sorry at all. "Like I said, you're a difficult person to contact."

"I'm surprised I didn't see you sooner," she commented. She had had a feeling he was going to show up eventually.

"Well I would have been here earlier had you not disappeared off the face of the Earth. Figured there was nothing for it than to wait for you to come back. Had no idea what you were bringing with you though."

Noelle narrowed her eyes at him. Normally she would be furious at him for spying on her, but she didn't expect anything less from him anymore.

My phone, she realized suddenly. Fury must have been tracking it. That was the only way he could have known she had left Earth.

"Well you're here a little late," was all she said in response. "The party's over."

"Not quite," Fury replied. "We still have to clean up the damage from your little mess, and there's also the Aether. Do you know where it is now?"

Noelle took a deep breath. She was too distracted by more important things right now than to be annoyed by Fury's disparaging comments. "Svartalfheim. It was transported there with Malekith. Thor is taking care of it now."

Fury was silent for a long moment.

"The Aether is one of the Infinity Stones, Fury. I felt it," Noelle said under her breath but still loud enough for him to hear. "It's the third one we've encountered in less than a year. That can't be a coincidence."

"Perhaps," Fury remarked. "And perhaps not."

Noelle shook her head. "Obi-wan always told me there was no such thing as luck, and I'm inclined to believe him."

"Smith, if it is something big, which it likely isn't, what would you have me do? There are things here that need my attention too. Things that I have evidence of being a real problem."