Chapter 38- A Map

Noelle and Thor sat beside each other hand-in-hand in the pouring rain until Bern came to get them. When she got out of the driver's seat, Noelle embraced her cousin in a tight hug and didn't let her go for a long moment.

"Noelle, in case you haven't noticed, it's pouring rain. You're soaked!"

"I know," Noelle laughed, only because it was Bern and stepped back. "It's good to see you too, Bern."

Bern gave her that old smirk. "I'm glad you're ok, Noelle. I was worried sick– why don't we talk more in the car?" she suggested with a shiver. "I'm soaked now, too."

Noelle smiled and they got into the car. She took the front seat with Bern and let Thor have the back to himself.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to sitting on the wrong side of the car," she commented, pulling on the seatbelt.

"It's not so bad once you get used to it," Bern shrugged, stepping on the gas. "Kinda fun actually." She then glanced up into her mirror, and turned her attention to Thor. "I don't think we were properly introduced yet," she said, giving Noelle a pointed look. "I'm Noelle's cousin, Bernadette– Bern for short."

"I am honored to meet you, Bernadette. I am Thor of Asgard." Noelle could hear him shuffling around distractedly in the back, almost as if he didn't have enough room to move. She supposed if she were as large as he was in this tiny car, she would be uncomfortable too.

"Are you alright?" She turned around.

Thor gave her a thumbs up. "Wonderful."

Noelle didn't really believe him, but she nodded and gave him one last long look. She was still a little bit worried about him given that he had just lost his brother.

The night time traffic wasn't bad at all and the drive from wherever they had been to Bern's apartment was only about a half an hour.

The rest of the ride was mostly a quiet one. Noelle's mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Malekith and what in the universe they were supposed to do about this. Her brain was wired like a tactician to come up with as many plans as possible, but she kept coming up blank, and it was only making her head hurt. It had crossed her mind to try and find some other means of help, but there was no time. Besides, there was no one else who knew about the Infinity Stones.

Well, aside from Fury.

The last thing Noelle wanted to do however, was get him and S.H.I.E.L.D. involved. But if she had no other choice...

Sighing, she rested her head against the window. She didn't know how much Thor knew about the Stones, but at some point, it would be wise to bring it up to him.

Thankfully when they got back to the apartment building, none of the neighbors happened to spot them walking through the hallways to get to Bern's. Noelle doubted anyone would freak out and call the police, but she would rather not attract attention.

"So what ever happened with you and Nick getting arrested?" Noelle remembered.

"Oh. They let us off with a warning for trespassing," Bern replied as she unlocked her door. "I think it was you they wanted."

Great.

Bern entered her apartment first, followed by Noelle then Thor last. Noelle thought it was weird that the place looked like a disaster. She knew Nick could be messy, but Bern was usually pretty tidy. It looked like a tornado had swept through there.

"Thor?"

Noelle knew that voice. From out of the darkness of the kitchen came Dr. Erik Selvig, with a crazed look in his eyes, and no pants. How he had gotten here and why were beyond her. Before she could open her mouth to ask, he was bounding across the living room to Thor.