5

Rowan had some errands to run for his nephew's party. Carter was turning one in a few days, and Rowan still hadn't purchased a gift. But what do you usually get a first-time toddler? Clothes? Shoes? Maybe some toys? Amira was supposed to be helping him, but she was busy today. Thus, Rowan visited a few stores on his own, but ended up calling her anyway.

"I'm confused," he said, looking at the endless rows of toys.

"About what?"

"What to get Carter for his birthday. I'm lost, Amira."

"Oh...umm, can you give me like five minutes, and I'll call you back."

"Alright," he sighed.

Rowan spent the next five minutes pacing up and down the aisles, waiting for Amira to call him back. It took a total of ten minutes for her to do so. Amira had no clue what to get a baby for their first birthday, but she wanted to help Rowan regardless. Therefore, she googled a bunch of ideas to give him. He took them graciously and ended up buying a few gifts instead of settling on just one.

The rest of his day went rather fast. Amira said she would meet him at his club tonight, which Rowan was looking forward to.
.....

Sometime later...

"The usual, I guess." Amira couldn't decide if she wanted a drink or not.

Jace chuckled at her response. "You guess?"

"Yeah, I have work tomorrow."

"You're always working, do you ever take a break?"

"My breaks are on the weekends," she shrugged.

"Then why don't you ever come to see me?"

"Because there's no need for me to come here if Rowan's not here."

"Not even to keep me company?"

"No, Jace, not even to keep you company."

He immediately clutched his heart, wincing in pain as if Amira stabbed him in the chest. "Damn." He shook his head, pulling the knife out and dropping it on the counter.

"Why you always gotta take shots at my ego? That shit hurts."

"Because you're delusional. But it's all love, though. If I don't kill your delusions, then who else will?"

"I thought we were closer than that, but you barely give me a second of your time."

"I'm dating your boss, Jace. Rowan has the majority of my time."

"What about a side-piece? Do you need one?"

"It will never happen, so stop trying," she laughed, glancing down at her phone once she received a text from Rowan. He was responding to his earlier statement with a question mark. He had told Amira to meet him in his office five minutes ago when she first arrived. She saw the message but wanted to stop at the bar first.

"If it makes you feel any better, you can watch as I walk away. You can even gawk as you stare at my ass, but that's the only bit of action you will get from me." Jace chuckled as Amira then moseyed off, not waiting on a retort or a drink from him. But the sway of her hips did indeed put a smile on his face.

Amira soon barged through the door of Rowan's office and abruptly stopped once she realized he had company. Everyone then went silent at her presence, causing Amira to slowly back out of the room.

"Amira," Rowan called her forward.

"I'm not intruding, am I?"

"No, come in," he replied. She waved to the familiar faces, and they greeted her back in the same manner. She then closed the door behind her and sauntered over to Rowan. Conversations ensued shortly after she took a seat on his desk.