24

Rowan tried to convince Amira to wait until she stopped bleeding to return to work, but she wouldn't listen. They got into a small argument because of her decision. Amira tried to assure him she was physically well enough to continue working, but Rowan couldn't understand why she would want to rush back into such a structured routine so soon.

He expected her to wait at least another week, but Amira claimed she needed the distraction. Not to mention, her bleeding had significantly lessened, so she was only spotting when she returned to work. Once Thursday came along, Amira had finished bleeding altogether. She spent most of her week reading through notes, completing assessments, and drafting reports while her replacement was still around. Next week, she will resume more hands-on treatments.

Amira was on her way home when she got a surprise call from Storm. "Hello?" She answered the phone, a little shocked.

"Hey, beautiful, I haven't heard from you. How have you been?"

Amira shook off her previous thoughts. "I've been okay," she answered truthfully. "I've just been in a slump lately, and I'm trying to get out of it."

"How bad is your slump?"

"Pretty bad," she emphasized.

"Then I think I have a temporary fix. Are you busy?"

"No, I just got off work."

"Do you have plans for tonight?"

"No, not really."

"Can I convince you to come out with me?"

"I don't know," Amira sighed. "It depends on what you have in mind. Is it another house party?"

"No, it's not. I can send you the flyer, and you can let me know if you want to come. I know it's last minute, so I'll pick you up."

"Okay, give me an hour to think about it, and I'll call you back." They hung up soon after, and Amira continued home. Once she arrived, she removed her scrubs and stepped into the shower.

She didn't have anything planned for tonight. Amira thought about making herself some dinner and possibly reading a book, but she could do that any day. She deserved a night out, so she welcomed the idea of getting dressed up and leaving the house. After contemplating Storm's offer, Amira called her back and asked what she should wear tonight.

"I'm surprised you agreed to come," Storm pulled off once Amira was situated.

"Why? You're literally my only friend. If you say jump, I'll say how high," she teased.

Storm peered over at Amira, smirking as she turned her eyes back to the road. "Don't flatter me, babe. I thought you might decline since you're a working woman. That nine-to-five must be hard," she jested back.

"It is, but I'm off on Fridays, so I consider Thursday nights my weekends. I could use a drink or two to start it off right."

"That's what I like to hear," Storm smiled. "Do you remember my friend, Wynter? She's a bit darker than you, has freckles, and wears long extensions."

"Does she have tattoos?" Amira asked.

"Yes, she does."

"Oh, then I think I remember her."

"Good, because she remembers you. It's her twenty-eighth birthday, and she told me to extend the invite to you."

"Why? It's not like we know each other. We only met once."

"I know, but Wynter took a liking to you."

"What did she say about me?"

"She said, verbatim: 'I like your cute little friend. She's quiet, but I bet she knows how to turn up, and I know her pussy is as cute as she is.'"