18

Amira got no sleep after they found Sofia. She had to go to work in a few hours, so she stayed up until it was time for her to leave.

"I'll be back as soon as I get off. I'll text Sofia in a little bit to tell her I left."

"Okay."

"She shouldn't bother you or anything. She might just stay in the room all day."

"Okay."

"Let me know if she says anything about what happened. I'll be—"

"Okay, Amira. I got it. You don't have to worry."

"Right," she nodded. Amira had no choice but to leave Sofia for the day. "I appreciate you."

"I know." Rowan nudged her towards the door.

Sofia then slept for most of the day. Rowan would leave food and drinks outside her door. She would take them, but that was it. He didn't bother her, and Sofia didn't bother him. If she needed to pee, she simply opened the door to the en suite bathroom. Rowan gave her a fresh towel, rag, toothbrush, and some of Amira's clothes to change into.

As soon as Amira got off work, she made her way back to Rowan's house.

"Can I come in?" She knocked on Sofia's door and waited for her to answer.

Sofia gave a muffled "yes," so Amira walked in. She immediately shook her head when she spotted Sofia on the bed, munching on some Doritos, Oreos, and Skittles.

"Really, Sofia?"

"What?" She laughed. "He gave them to me."

"Is this all you've had to eat?" Amira sat on the bed and took a chip. She figured Rowan must've gone out and bought the snacks because he usually didn't keep junk food in the house.

"No, I had other stuff. I slept past breakfast, but Rowan made me a sub for lunch."

Amira nodded. "How was your day?"

"It was good. Can you watch a movie with me?"

"Sure, but not before you tell me what happened last night."

"Do I have to?" Sofia pouted.

"No, Sofia, but I would appreciate it if you did. We can't just brush it off. I need to know something—anything. Are you okay? Did somebody hurt you? Weren't you supposed to be at school today? Do I need to call your principal and give you an excuse? Is there paperwork I need to fill out? Tell me something," Amira spoke.

"I can't go back until next week."

"Why not?"

"Because I got suspended yesterday."

Amira paused for a second. "Why did you get suspended?"

Sofia grabbed another Oreo and shoved it into her mouth. She chewed slowly, keeping her mouth shut until she was ready to talk.

"Everyone is just so mean. People think being a bully is a flex, so I often get picked on. I don't like being the center of attention, and I hate when people stay in my business. But just because I'm quiet doesn't mean I can't fight. Some girl at my school said something out of pocket, and I handled her," Sofia explained.

"I started the fight, so they suspended me for the rest of the week. The other girl got two days for instigating it."

"Did you win?"

"Yeah, she was crying because I made her nose bleed."

"Alright," Amira snorted as she tried to keep from laughing. "It's only Tuesday; what are you supposed to do for the rest of the week?"