20

Renee saw Amira pull up and hurried outside to greet her daughter. She had been waiting on Amira all morning and couldn't help her excitement. "Hi, my baby."

"Hey, mom," Amira laughed as Renee pulled her into a lengthy hug, only letting go once she kissed Amira's cheek. Amira hadn't seen her mother in a minute, so she appreciated the warm welcome.

"I missed you, honeybun." Renee ushered her into the house, quickly taking Amira's keys and hanging them on the hook.

"You look adorable," she said, examining her daughter from head to toe.

Amira ran her hands over her stomach, slightly pulling the stretchy material. "Would you believe I got this jumpsuit off of Amazon? It's shapewear, so it's supposed to snatch me in," she said.

"I'm digging the whole outfit. Did you get those boots off of Amazon?"

"No, I got them from DSW; they're Steve Madden." Amira removed her jacket and hung it on the coat rack with her small shoulder bag and scarf. "I'll buy you a pair if you want." She then pulled off her shoes and stacked them by the door.

"Do they have some like those but without the heel?"

"The heels are chunky. They're not hard to walk in."

"I know, but you know I have a bad knee. I can't tolerate heels like I used to." 

"Oh, right. I'll look for you." They walked into the kitchen and stopped to survey the mess of ingredients sprawled out over every counter.

"I see we barely have anything to cook this year," Amira voiced sarcastically.

"Don't sound so unenthused. You're the only person I trust to help me do this right."

Amira huffed as she went over to the sink to wash her hands.

"How was your trip?" Renee then asked. She thought Amira would bring it up, but her daughter was being rather discreet about it.

"It was great," she smiled.

"Did you enjoy yourself?"

"I did."

Renee nodded in response. "That makes me very happy, Amira. I'm glad you had a good time. How's Rowan?" She hadn't seen him since she learned about his past.

"He's good," Amira answered. 

"Is he avoiding me?"

"No, he's just busy."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, mom."

"Okay, well, I hope you bring him tomorrow. I would love to see him."

"I'll try, but Rowan doesn't care for holidays? He might be more inclined to come if it was only me and you, but that's not the case this year."

"I know, but still tell him there's plenty of room at the table."

"I'm sure he knows, but I will."

Renee sighed as she pulled out her cookbook. "Let's get to work."

Amira helped her mother prepare the menu for their Thanksgiving feast. She told her mom not to go all out this year, but Renee wouldn't listen. Renee wanted to go above and beyond just in case Rowan decided to come. She also wanted to rekindle some of her estranged relationships and invited a few family members.

This was the first time Renee felt good enough to enjoy a holiday without her late husband, so she was dedicating this year to accepting life's challenges and moving on. Her head was ever so clear: it was free of the impending doom that usually loomed over her. Renee knew this feeling could disappear at any moment, so she wanted to take advantage of her newfound strength and celebrate her blessings.