25

Two days later...

Amira was scrolling through her phone when Rowan texted her. He asked if she was decent, but she sent back a question mark to show her confusion. Rowan then clarified that he was asking if she was wearing any clothes. Amira responded yet again and said she was wearing shorts and a shirt. Two minutes later, she did a double-take when Adrian appeared in the doorway, knocking to announce himself.

"I come in peace," he laughed. "I also brought a gift." Adrian carried his son into the room and slung Carter onto the bed. Amira's attention went straight to the one-year-old, gasping as he bounced around a few times. The sight of Carter's chunky cheeks made her heart melt and her throat tighten simultaneously. Amira looked away for a second, briefly concentrating on Adrian as he placed Carter's diaper bag on the bed.

He looked the same—clean-cut and polished—like a suburban businessman but with a little bit of spice. She still couldn't fathom how much Rowan and Adrian resembled one another. They had noticeable differences, of course: Adrian was a few years older, they dressed differently, their personalities were opposite, and Rowan had far more tattoos. However, anyone could tell they were related.

"Did you just get here?"

"About five minutes ago."

"Is Nina here too?" Amira sat up. Despite Nina's problematic tendencies, Amira missed her. She missed Nina's ability to make her laugh in the silliest, most unbelievable ways.

"No, she wanted some alone time."

"How is she? How is the baby?" 

"Nina's great. The baby is great. Both are healthy."

Amira nodded, her eyes shifting back to Carter. She wanted to ask more questions about Nina's pregnancy but didn't want to upset herself.

Adrian then stood Carter up and turned him in Amira's direction. The toddler waved to her, and she waved back.

"Will you watch him while I speak to my brother?"

"Oh, I..." Amira paused. She wasn't sure if Adrian had good timing or the worst timing ever. "Umm..." She laughed to keep from thinking too hard.

"No worries, Amira; I'll take him back downstairs."

"No, it's okay," she cleared her throat. "Will Carter want me?"

"I'm sure he will." Adrian reached into Carter's bag and pulled out his sippy cup and a pack of peanut butter crackers.

"He's friendly like his mom, so he'll do anything for some food." Adrian gave both items to Carter, and Carter took them graciously, uttering a small and almost incoherent thank you.

"Be good, okay. I'm not going anywhere; I'll be downstairs with Uncle Rowan."

Carter smiled as he held out his little fist. Adrian gave his son a fist bump and instructed him to go sit down. Amira made space for Carter, propping up some pillows for him to lean against. She thought he would've sat beside her, but he plopped down onto her lap instead.

Adrian then left and made his way into Rowan's study, taking the chair across from him.

"How did she react to Carter?" Rowan asked.

Adrian thought for a second before shrugging. "She seemed hesitant."

"Did she say anything?"

"She asked about Nina, but that was it."

Rowan hummed as he took a long puff from his cigarette. He hadn't had one in a while, but he needed it if he planned on talking to his brother.

"How does it feel to be turning thirty? You're getting old like the rest of us."