09 .⋆. Yearning Hearts

・゚゚・。 Dom watched with sympathy as Lo'ak exited the hut with his head down

・゚゚・。 Dom watched with sympathy as Lo'ak exited the hut with his head down. She appreciated that he stood up for her and Kiri, but she felt bad that he was the one in trouble.

Neteyam walked out next, sitting down next to Dom.

"You shouldn't have done that. Both of you." She spoke softly, looking at the cut on his lip.

He sighed. "Lo'ak wanted to stand up for you guys and himself. I couldn't stand by and watch them hurt him."

"I'm not mad. I just wish you guys didn't have to get hurt." As he reached up to touch his lip, Dom gently held his chin and turned it so she could see the cut better.

She took some of the yanabark she had been holding and carefully dabbed it on the cut. As she cleaned it, Neteyam couldn't help but stare at her. She was taking care of him, just like she had after the raid. She hadn't healed Lo'ak either times, giving Neteyam hope that she had feelings for him and not his brother.

The urge to confess his feelings for her was growing stronger everyday. She may have been easily persuaded to go with Lo'ak and Spider on reckless adventures, but Neteyam was beginning to see that she just had a free spirit. 

She had a kind and strong heart. She was gentle and caring; all things that made him love her more.

Love was a strong word, but Neteyam believed it was the only word that could describe his feelings for her. Now that he was no longer set to be the future chief, he didn't have to be with a na'vi girl. He could be with Dom, as long as she felt the same.

Neteyam wanted nothing more than to know how she felt. He couldn't keep hoping and wondering anymore. He needed to know. He could never force her to return his feelings or make her become his, he just needed to get his feelings off his chest.

When Dom finished cleaning the small wound, Neteyam took his chance and gently grabbed her wrist.

"There's something I need to tell you." His voice was soft and sincere.

Dom nodded, taking his hand in hers. "Go ahead." She smiled reassuringly, having a feeling that he was about to tell her what she wanted to know for months.

"I know we've been becoming closer friends here in the reef. I just feel like I owe it to myself to get this out." He paused, looking deeply in her eyes. "Dominique, I am falling in love with you. By telling you this I am not asking you to return these feelings and I'm not asking you to be anything more than you have been to me."

Dom opened her mouth, wanting to let him know that she felt the same, but Neteyam was quick to place a finger on her mask, right over her lips.

"I understand if things aren't the same as they were before because these types of confessions can be a little hard to get past. I needed to get this off my chest because I can no longer spend my time wondering if you feel the same and having hope that you do." Slowly, Neteyam removed his finger. His ears pinned to his head as he looked down shyly.

"Neteyam." Dom cooed, lifting his chin so she could look into his eyes. "I need to be completely honest with you. I've known about your feelings for about two months now. It was kind of obvious, the way you'd always glance at me after you made a joke, the way you'd always glare at your brother after he made me laugh or smile, and how I'd always catch you staring with this lovesick look in your eyes."

Neteyam sat still, unsure about how to feel. She had known all this time and yet she said nothing.

"When I first realized how you felt, I wanted to say something. I wanted to confess to you in a way that would make you really happy. I asked Lo'ak for advice, since you two always seem to be together when Spider and I aren't around. He genuinely believed that you would want to make the first move, so I didn't say anything. It was tough, because all I wanted was to be with you. But the thought of you being happy to make the first move made me learn to be patient, because I really just want you to be happy."

Dom took a deep breath, preparing to open her heart to him. "I love you and I have for awhile. I loved you before I knew how you felt about me. I couldn't say anything then because you were on the path to be the next leader and you deserved to have a proper mate. I guess I never thought someone as great as you could even want to be with someone as odd as me."

Neteyam looked in her eyes, his mouth parted open in shock. "You love me too?"

She nodded, holding his hands in hers the best she could. "Are you afraid to be with me? I'm human and there's so much that I can't give you. They don't make avatars anymore and I need you to be fully on board before we commit to anything."

"No, no I'm not afraid. I apologize, I didn't intend for my confession to come across like that. I understand what being with you will mean and I don't care. I love you Dominique Socorro and I want to be with you if you'll let me."

Dom smiled, happily embracing the na'vi next to her.

"Neteyam, I love you so much. I'd be happy to be with you."

The boy softly smiled, wrapping his arms tightly around his girl. He gently kissed her shoulder, glad to finally know how she felt.

Hours later, Neteyam and Dom laughed with one another as they prepared dinner. They had both agreed to not say anything about their relationship, but to not hide it either. With everything that had happened that morning, they believed it would be best to share the news another day.

Dom's smile faded when she saw Ao'nung enter the hut. Following her cold gaze, Neteyam frowned when he saw him.

"What do you want?" Dom asked, standing up with Neteyam.

"It's your brother." Ao'nung replied, staring directly at the forest na'vi. Neteyam walked closer to Ao'nung, anger radiating off his body.

"What did you do to him?"