Part 10-The Cabin In The Woods

With painful, frustrating, slowness, Luke took off her gown, undoing the numerous tiny pearl buttons and placing a kiss on her back after he undid every button. Zena experienced a strange fire in the pit of her stomach, hitherto unknown to her. She stood before him in her linen chemise, feeling her face burn as he gazed at her in admiration.

She was amazed that he could not hear her heartbeat, which sounded to her like breakers pounding against a rocky shore. Luke gently pushed her down on the bed, tore off his clothes, and followed her, covering her body with his own. The rest of her garments came off in no time, as he explored her body thoroughly, discovering every curve, his mouth following his hand.

When that was no longer enough, he took her hand and brought it against his own body. Zena felt her hand curl in reaction, then of its own volition felt it caressing him. Luke groaned in response, before claiming her as his.

It was a long time after, when Zena woke, curled up in his arms. He was awake, watching her with a smile on his lips. Their coming together had been magical, to say the least. She mused on the enormity of her actions. She and Luke were lovers now, and she, herself, was in love with him wholeheartedly. She was sure he would have guessed it from her response to him. He really was the most wonderful man, kind, generous, and a gentle lover. No girl could have asked for a better one to lead her into womanhood.

Zena decided then, that soon, she would share her secret with him, and ask for his help. She was sure that he would understand her side, and help her to meet the Prince, maybe, even convince him that she and her father were innocent of all the crimes attributed to them.

Outside, it was snowing hard, with the wind screaming loudly, but the room was full of warmth, for some time during the evening, while she slept, Luke had lighted a fire in the grate. The glow of the fire lit up the room cozily, and an Afghan covered them.

"Tired?" he asked her, pushing a lock of hair away from her forehead.

"A little," she said, shyly.

"Hungry?" he smiled.

She nodded, wondering if there was anything in the cottage kitchen which she could cook.

"Wait here," he said, rising from the bed. She averted her eyes, in modesty, as he went out, then came back a little later with the wine bottle, two glasses, and a plate of small cream cakes that the cook had packed.

They sat cross-legged on the bed, eating the deliciously soft cakes, drinking the fruity wine, and sharing kisses in between.

"May I ask you something, Luke?" she said, feeling a flutter of nervousness in her stomach.

"Ask away," he waved, clearly in a mellow mood.

"Do you know the Prince?" she asked, hesitating with the question.

"The Prince? Do you mean Prince Lucas Maximilian the Fourth?" he asked incredulously.

"Yes...yes..."

"Who doesn't know him in Zorbia?"

"What is he like?"

"Why do you ask?" he counter-questioned.

"Just...just...curious," she stammered.

"Well....he is not too homely. In fact, most women think that he is good-looking and easy on the eyes."

"How is he as a man? Is he fair?"

Luke thought for a moment, gazing at her speculatively.

"Hmm....I think he is, though he is infamous for his awful temper. You see, he hates lies and deceit, and doesn't spare those who are disloyal to him."

Zena felt a shiver of apprehension travel down her spine. No wonder, he had refused to give her a hearing. Would such a man listen to Luke if he pleaded on her behalf? Would Luke believe her in the first instance?

"I...I...have never seen him. Do you think I'll ever get a chance to do so?"

Luke hid a tiny smile.

"Now you're making me jealous with all this talk of seeing him. I think it's time I reminded you that you belong to me, woman," he teased, taking the wine glass from her hands and putting it down on a bedside table.

He pulled her into his arms then, laying her back on the bed and putting his lips on her neck where the mark of his passion was clearly visible. Once more passion escalated between them and soon they were lost in exploring and tasting each other.

The next time Zena woke up, it was dawn, and a translucent light filled the room. She lay there, watching Luke sleep, as love for him rose within her heart. His dark hair had fallen on his forehead, giving him a boyish look, and his keen, dark, intelligent eyes were hidden behind his overly long lashes. He really was the most good-looking man, more than any prince, she was sure, whatever the other women thought about Lucas Maximilian the Fourth. She did not need to see him. Without meeting the Prince, she knew that she hated him. If the man hated lies, he would, at the very least, have tried to find out the truth about her father, and should have listened to her once, but he had refused entry to her as if she were some common criminal or a particularly annoying dog.

She would tell Luke everything when they returned, and she would ask him for his help to find her father. She was sure that he was in some grave trouble. If she found him once, the truth would come out, and they would no longer be hated like pariahs.

It was quite late when they got up. Luke brought an armload of wood from the shed, and they lighted the fire, heating water and bathing themselves in the huge, ornately carved copper bathtub. It was such an intimate moment, that Zena felt her body flame with mortification when she thought about it.

It had stopped snowing and the wind too had died down. Luke brought his horse from the stable behind the cottage, and they rode back in silence. Whatever had taken place between them at the cottage was too momentous for words. Zena knew that everyone back at the manor would have guessed by now what had happened between her and Luke. Would he propose to her when he would come to know that she was a lady, one of the nobility, fallen on hard times?

Dave was standing in the hall when they reached the manor, his stance full of urgency.

"Go to your room, Zena, and take some rest. You needn't work today," he said, squeezing her hand, and giving her a smile, then turned to Dave.

"What is it, Dave?"

"I have information about the girl, Your Majesty. I think you should hear me without losing another moment."