Part 11-The Reveal

Zena was lying on her bed, having changed into a fresh dress, her mind preoccupied with what had happened at the cottage. It could not be changed, but she could share her truth with him. Time and again she framed in her mind how she would tell Luke about herself. She expected empathy and an offer of help. After their lovemaking, that was the least she could hope to get from him.

At that moment there was a knock on the door and Peggy entered, all flustered.

"The lord has summoned you to the study, immediately," she said, breathless and flushed.

"What's the matter, Peggy?" Zena asked, puzzled. They had parted just moments ago. What was the urgency now?

Peggy shook her head.

"You better hurry, before he brings the whole house down with his roar."

Zena got up, pulled on a warm scarf around her shoulders, and headed for the study. Knocking on the door, she pushed it open. Luke was standing with his back to her, staring out of the window. Dave, his trusted man, was there too. He scowled when he saw her, making her wonder what the matter was.

"I'm here, Luke," she said, her voice trembling as she sensed the charged atmosphere of the study.

He turned then, staring at her with such distaste as if she had crawled out of some gutter. She recoiled from that look, feeling it like a physical force, bent on reducing her to dust.

"Why didn't you tell me who you are?" he asked through his teeth, his tone icy, his words dropping like painful icicles on her skin.

She had been afraid of just this eventuality. She'll explain everything to him and ask him to forgive her. Maybe, he'll even help her once he calmed down a little.

"I....I....was going to," she mumbled, wringing her hands.

"When? Before or after you tried to fool me by seducing me into bed with you?"

"That's not right...." she started, then stopped. He was so wrong. When had she tried to seduce him, for god's sake? It was the other way around, but she didn't wish to infuriate him any further, so she looked at him with all of her love in her eyes.

"Please, listen to me, Luke....." she started again, trying to cajole him into hearing her out.

He put up a hand silencing her.

"You're that traitor Martin's daughter," he bit out, not a question but a statement. "What did you think, woman, that I'll never find it out? I had my men after you since the day you came here."

"My father is not a traitor...."

"Shut up, you shameless woman. Why did he run away if he was not a thief and a traitor? He betrayed his country and you're his spawn," he threw at her in contempt.

"Please believe me, Luke. I know nothing of the matter, only that my father must be in some grave danger. I even begged the Prince to give me an audience, but he refused. Help me to meet him and I'll ask his forgiveness," she pleaded, sure that he'll understand.

"Are you mad, woman?" Dave spoke out for the first time.

She glanced at him questioningly.

"Kneel at his feet and ask for clemency. You are in the presence of his majesty, the Prince."

Zena looked at Luke, aghast. No, he wasn't Luke.

"Lucas Maximilian, the Fourth," the Prince spoke with a twisted smile.

Zena slowly sank to the ground, kneeling in front of him. Her whole world seemed to have come crumbling down on her. It was all lies, the tenderness, the care, the gentle lovemaking. He wasn't the man she had thought him to be. He was the hateful Prince, cruel and heartless, who had snatched her home and everything she held dear, whose men were hounding her like a wild animal, forcing her to flee for her life. What clemency could she expect from him?

Zena wiped her tears with an angry hand. Fate was so unkind to her, to bring her here. She had thought of Blackwood Manor as a haven, where she would be safe, little knowing that it was the enemy's lair.

"Call the guards, Dave. Take her away from my sight. I don't wish to lay eyes on her hateful face. She disgusts me. Keep her captive below stairs for the night. Tomorrow, we return to the palace in St. Helene. I'll yet make an example of her so that people would tremble before playing false to the crown."

Zena heard the cruel words, her heart sinking, and her stomach heaving with nausea, when she remembered the night spent with him. She wouldn't beg him for mercy, she decided, hanging her head, unwilling to even look at him.

Two liveried guards entered the study. Dave pointed to her, and they pulled her to her feet, nearly dragging her out of the room and down the stairs. They walked her to the end of the cold stone passageway, before pushing open a door. It was a small dank room, with nothing but the stone-flagged floor to rest upon. The two men pushed her inside and slammed the door shut, laughing.

Zena fell down on the floor, winded and out of breath. A sob rose within her chest, finding its way out as a wail. Why, God, why? She asked. Why did it have to be the Prince who found her? It would have been much better to have died out there in the freezing cold. She wouldn't have felt the pain of heartbreak like this.

Stumbling to her feet, like an old woman, Zena went down against a wall, resting her back. The only light in the room came from the tiny barred window which opened out. It was evening now, and the moon was up. The maids would be preparing dinner.

What would they think when she did not turn up for dinner? They would soon come to know of her fate. Would they sympathize with her or would they laugh, saying that they knew she wasn't what she seemed to be? They had gossiped about her closeness to Luke. Now they would have even more to gossip about, especially after last night.

Zena tried to control the sobs which tore through her. It was no use shedding her tears for that man. He wouldn't appreciate them, or care for them. He had a stone for a heart, and she had made a mistake in giving herself to him.

As the night progressed, and dawn approached, Zena felt a numbing calm steal upon her. She waited for her death, for that was what they would do to her. She only wished that she knew what had happened to her father, or could see him a last time. But that wasn't possible, so she'll wait here for destiny's ax to fall on her.

With the first light of morning, she heard footsteps outside, and the lock to her door was opened. The same two men stood outside.

"Come," they said. Where were they taking her?