Part 31-A Gift For Her

Rushing out of her room, Zena walked the length of the passageway, climbing up to the floor where the study was situated and where Luke usually spent his mornings running the state business. Zena rushed into the study, forgetting to even knock, so disturbed had she been by what Nan had imparted to her.

Her face fell when she saw that Luke wasn't inside, the wind going out of her sails. At that moment the door opened and Dave walked in.

"What are you doing here?" he asked her, a frown on his face.

"Looking for Luke....I mean...his majesty."

"He's not here," he said, holding open the door in a hint for her to leave.

"Where can I find him?" Zena refused to take the hint. She wasn't leaving without meeting Luke.

Dave let out a sigh.

"Whatever it is, you can tell me instead," he offered.

"No, it's something I wish to share with him alone," she replied. She could never think of telling that secret to anyone other than Luke.

Dave gave her a strange look.

"He's gone to Esbiza to sign the treaty," he said reluctantly.

"Oh," Zena's heart sank. He would see Princess Leticia there. Would they sleep together? She had no way of knowing. Anyway, she shouldn't be bothered about it. She had more pressing problems of her own.

"Thank you," she wished Dave, then left the study.

Dave watched her go, his heart going out to the girl. He had been aghast when he found out that she had been poisoned. For a moment there, he had suspected his majesty, but he knew that he would never stoop so low. He had vowed at that moment to find out who could be behind it, and with a little sleuthing of his own, he had formed a very good idea of the person responsible for the poisoning. He wished that he could tell Luke, but he would never believe him. But he had promised himself to keep an eye on the culprit.

The girl had all his sympathy. He had known her father, a man of high morals, honest as the day. He had kept his daughter away from the court and high society, to protect her, he had said, from the rakes abounding in the royal court. And look where she had landed! Straight into his majesty's hands, to be used and abused by him, for no fault of hers. Dave had tried to convince Luke to let her go, but he had refused to even hear him out. Add to that Wilfred's sly insinuations against Victor Martin and his daughter. He wondered why Luke could not see the truth.

Now, Luke had gone to Esbiza to strengthen the alliance. He would be marrying Princess Leticia. Dave knew that it would hurt the girl and that was what Luke wished to do. He had seen the two fall in love at Blackwood Manor, and then the whole thing going horribly wrong. He wished that he could help Zena to escape, but doing that might well cost him his life.

It was a week later, that Molly came running to her room, one morning.

"Zena, the prince is back and Nan wishes to see you," she blurted out all excited.

"What's the excitement all about, Molly?"

"Didn't you know? The Princess is here too. The betrothal is in two days," Molly informed her, her eyes round like saucers.

Zena sank down abruptly on the bed, her legs no longer holding her up. Luke would be betrothed in two days? She had never imagined such a fate for her love.

Slowly, she donned her bonnet and covered her shoulders with the warm scarf Nan had knitted for her. Trudging like an old woman, she made her way to the kitchen where Nan was supervising the lunch. She ushered her out of the earshot of the cook and the maids when she saw her.

"I guess you have heard the news, Zena?"

Zena nodded, unable to say a word.

"I have called you, dear, to look to the flower arrangements on the dining table for the royal couple, since you're a lady and must have seen to it in your father's home."

Zena heaved a sigh of relief. She was expecting an order from Luke to serve the princess.

"I'll do it, Nan," she replied, turning to go.

"I'm sorry, Zena," Nan's words stopped her in her tracks.

Zena stepped forward and hugged the older woman, then left for the dining room.

A couple of maids were struggling with the flowers, getting hopeless, so Zena reassured them, then showed them how it was done. An hour later, they stepped back to view their handiwork, wondering at the fantastic display created by the arrangement of flowers and leaves.

"I'm sure the princess will like it," commented one of the maids.

"I'm sure, she will," the housekeeper said, entering the room and catching sight of the centerpiece. "You can leave now, dear. I'll see to the rest."

Nodding, Zena left the room, only to come face to face with Luke hurrying somewhere. He was dressed for an outing. Where was he headed?

"Ah, just the right person to meet," he said with a false lightness.

Zena didn't trust his bright attitude for a minute. She was sure, he had something up his sleeve.

"I want you to accompany me, Zena," he said, gripping her arm.

Not willing to make a scene, Zena decided to do as he said. They went out on the porch where a carriage was waiting. Luke ushered her into it, then climbed in after her. They sat facing each other inside the closed confines of the carriage, Zena's heart racing at his nearness.

"Where are we going?" she asked him when he made no move to enlighten her.

"You'll find out soon enough," he said, enigmatically, his eyes shining with a devilry she hated.

The carriage rolled along the main street of the city, and then into a posh upmarket district with wide avenues lined with shops. It came to a stop in front of a discreet establishment. Luke got down and then held out a hand for her. Unwillingly, fearing his touch, she put her hand in his, alighting from the buggy.

They stepped inside and Zena saw that it was a jeweler's shop, old and reputed. The proprietor, shocked to see the prince walk in, gathered himself and rushed forward to greet and welcome the important patron.

"Welcome, Your Royal Highness. How may I help you?"

"I need a wedding gift for my betrothed, Princess Leticia of Esbiza. Show me the best you have. The lady with me has very kindly accepted to help me choose a proper piece for the princess," he said, glancing at Zena with a smile.

The jeweler nodded, rubbing his hands in anticipation of making a big sale, and showing them to velvet-covered seats.

Only Zena saw the cruelty in his gaze as Luke ushered her to a seat beside him and pointed to the exquisite jewelry displayed on the counter.

"I leave it to you, Zena. Who knows better what I like?" he said, his words a painful innuendo, as his fingers caressed her arm, away from the gaze of onlookers.