Part 52-Forgiveness

Jane was sitting in the living room of Victor's townhouse, knitting tiny socks for the baby. The butler came in to announce a visitor.

"What! Are you sure?" Jane exclaimed, rising to her feet.

"Yes, milady. The forerunner came to inform that he'll be here any minute now," the butler blurted out.

"Call your master, then. We should be ready to receive him," she ordered.

Ten minutes later, the royal carriage came to a stop in front of the solid mahogany double doors. Victor and Jane rushed to welcome Prince Lucas. They hadn't expected him to visit them here. They had shifted to the house just a few days back, for the sake of privacy, as well as claiming Victor's heritage once again.

They knew that he was marrying Zena, but they also knew what he thought of Lord Martin. Victor had told Jane all about his friendship with Luke's mother, and how Sophia had come to love him in her last days. What Victor loved most about Jane was that she had far more wisdom than what to expect from one her age. Instead of being jealous, she had sympathized with the unfortunate woman, her eyes swimming with tears at Sophia's plight.

Now, she waited by his side, as the door of the carriage was opened and Luke stepped out. Surprisingly, he was alone, without Dave following him. The small party went inside and their guest was seated and served refreshments as befitting his exalted station.

"What brings you here, Your Majesty? You could have summoned me any time," Victor asked at length.

Luke looked at him for some time, as if he was seeing him for the first time, then shook his head as if to shake off his troublesome thoughts.

"Can we do away with unnecessary formality? I'll be your son-in-law in a few days," he suggested, much to the surprise of his hosts.

"I...I...how is that possible? You're our ruler," Victor uttered, totally baffled by this volte-face from his prospective son-in-law.

"And you, Victor, are the father of the woman I'm about to marry," he whispered, looking everywhere but at him.

"Did you....read Sophia's diary?"

"Yes, and unfortunately too late. Had I but read it earlier, none of this would have happened...." Luke whispered, his voice shaking with feelings.

"Can we....talk...in private?" Luke asked Victor.

Victor had never seen Luke hesitate or falter. It was clear that the younger man was agitated.

"You can speak in front of my wife. She knows everything, sire."

He nodded, heaving a sigh of relief, but Jane tactfully rose to go.

"Excuse me, my lord, but I have to see to the dinner," she said, before leaving the men to talk alone.

A strained silence descended on the room. Victor waited for him to state the purpose of his visit. What made him curious was that the usual arrogance was missing from Luke's face. What had that diary contained, he wondered.

At length, Luke looked up and cleared his throat.

"I....I....am sorry, Lord Martin, for all that you had to go through," he said, his expression pained.

"Please, Your Majesty, you don't have to...."

"No, let me speak today," Luke cut in. "I had this notion that you were the one responsible for the breakup of my parents' marriage, and I hated you for it. I thought that you had led my mother astray and she loved you and not me, her only son."

"Why would you have such an opinion of me?" asked Victor, puzzled. He had never given any encouragement to Sophia except being there for her as a friend.

A gentle color washed over Luke's face.

"One evening, while playing in the box maze, I saw you and Mother kiss each other. I did not wait to find out what followed, but that image remained in my mind to torment me. I had heard others say that she loved you."

"Oh...." Victor took a deep breath, then faced him squarely. "Sophia was my closest friend. She married King Roman after a whirlwind courtship, without really knowing him. Later, when the cracks began to show in their relationship, she turned to me, but I very firmly let her know that I couldn't betray my king."

"I know that now. Mother had written everything in detail. It was my fault that I assumed the worst about you," Luke accepted, regret apparent on his face.

"You were a child, Luke. One doesn't expect you to have understood the complexities of human relationships."

"But I did not try to find the truth even when I grew up. I fed my hatred instead, and look what it has resulted in. Zena hates me," he said with a heartfelt sigh.

Victor nodded, not knowing what to say. Zena had gone through a lot at his hands and it wasn't easy for her to forgive and forget.

"I'm sure she'll come around," Victor reassured him, without really believing it himself.

Luke smiled wanly at that, shaking his head. It wasn't so easy and both men knew that.

"Do you, Victor, forgive me for what I have done to you and your family?" he asked, a tremor in his voice.

Victor clasped his hand, his touch warm and forgiving.

"Of course. I have always loved you as a son. Sophia was so proud of you and today you have proved that she was right to be so. I never held any ill will towards you, Luke."

"Even at my despicable behavior that day in the bedchamber?" he asked, amazed. Victor Martin was more of a man than he had ever thought him to be. There was nothing petty or revengeful about him. It was clear that he would prefer to die than be a traitor to his monarch.

"Even then. I was angry at you, but I never hated you, Luke. You were the son that I never had. You were the image of my Sophia."

"Father....." Luke whispered.

They clasped each other, their arms reaching to hug the other to their chest. Luke felt all the love in that embrace which he had never felt with King Roman. Victor patted his back.

"Welcome to the family, Luke," he said, his face breaking out in a broad smile. "At last, Sophia will be at peace."

Luke shook his head.

"No. Not until Zena forgives me, but will she?"