Part 57-The Attack

The platform had been set up in the middle of the market square. A large number of people crowded the streets, jostling for a glimpse of their prince and to receive the coins and gifts to be handed to them. Zena alighted from the carriage, holding on to Luke's hand, and walked up the steps alongside him. They took their seats on the platform, waving still to the public at large.

The courtiers who had accompanied them gestured for the people to stay calm and listen quietly. Zena saw her father among the courtiers, and her heart lifted with joy. Victor walked up to her, bending to speak to her above the din.

"It's good to see you here, Zena, my child. I'm proud that you have taken up your royal duties so well," Victor said, beaming with pride.

Zena smiled, pleased at his words. She had been meaning to talk to him about Luke, but now wasn't the time. The crowd had turned its attention to Luke, who stood up by her side to address them. Zena joined him, a smile displayed on her lips.

Luke started his address by thanking them for their love showering on the newlywed couple and the enthusiasm with which they had turned up in large numbers to wish them.

The crowd broke into cheers, with cries of 'Long live Prince Lucas.'

Then turning to Zena, he asked her to address the crowd.

"Me? I..I....don't know what to say....." she stuttered.

It came naturally to Luke, for he had ruled the country for a few years now, but to her, all this was so new.

Luke nodded his understanding then, and once again faced the crowd.

"Countrymen....I wish to share a piece of blessed news with all of you. My consort, Princess Zena is going to give Zorbia its heir within a short time of a few months," he declared with a smile.

Another cheer went up to the skies, with people shouting in joy.

"Long live our Prince."

"Long live Princess Zena."

The slogans resounded, creating a feeling of exuberance among those present. The guards took the cue and rained coins on the crowd. People raised their hands to catch the gold and silver, happy at the largess shown to them. Some were called to the platform to receive the gifts, going away with broad smiles.

Zena watched all this in fascination, realizing for the first time what it meant to be Luke's wife and the princess of Zorbia. She touched her belly in wonder, as it was brought home to her that the birth of her child would be a momentous occasion for the country.

She turned to look at Luke then, a mixture of admiration and love in her eyes for the first time since their wedding. Shyly, she put her hand in his, staring into his eyes, not hiding the emotions, but letting him glimpse them clearly.

Luke saw the wonder in her eyes and another emotion, akin to love. Was it really love in Zena's eyes? His heart raced, spurred by the climactic shouts of the congregation.

He opened his mouth to say something to her, but wait! A scream issued forth from his lips instead and Zena saw him falling face-first to the ground.

An outcry went up, as the guards and the courtiers rushed to pick up the prince. As he was turned, they were aghast to see the dagger buried into his chest. Blood spurted from the wound, staining the ground crimson.

Zena felt the world recede, as blackness seemed to engulf her. She swayed on her feet, a keening wail rising to her lips. Victor caught her before she hit the hard ground, hailed a passing coach, and carried her to a closed buggy, laying her on the seat inside. A quick command brought the coachman to attention. Victor climbed in after her and knocked on the roof to start.

Victor cast a quick look at his unconscious daughter. He knew that she wasn't yet out of danger. The ones who had attacked the prince would hardly let his unborn heir escape. That wouldn't suit their plans. He should have brought a few soldiers with him, but he didn't have enough time. Everyone in that melee of bodies was a suspect. Another dagger or arrow could have ended Zena's life and that of her as yet unborn child, ending the royal bloodline.

He hadn't waited to find out about Luke. He knew that Dave would see to him. Victor could only pray that his fears would prove untrue. He could not even contemplate what would happen if Luke....

Victor left that thought incomplete, concentrating instead on his daughter. She was ashen, and her hands were like ice. He proceeded to rub them within his own warm palms, but then almost fell forward when the coach came to a stop abruptly in a deserted stretch of road. The driver shouted in alarm, jumping from his seat and running from the site.

Without losing a second, Victor drew his sword and jumped out of the buggy. Instantly, he was surrounded by four armed miscreants. They had their faces covered and carried rapiers. A fierce fight ensued as they fell on him with a bloodcurdling cry. Victor matched blow for blow, uncaring of his bleeding arm and shoulder. The pain was mind numbing but he did not have the occasion to register it. Instead, with one well-aimed blow of his sword, which had stood him in good stead in many a battle, he beheaded one of the guys, another one panicked and thought it better to escape.

The remaining two continued to fight, till another blow gutted the insides of one of the assailants. The sharp edge of the rapier caught his side, and blood stained his blue velvet coat. Victor cast a look of dismay at the wound, and then in a last-ditch effort to save the heir of Zorbia, fell with a roar on his enemy like a hungry lion.

Victor gazed around him, seeing the three bodies littered around him. He shouted for the coachman, who, with great trepidation, came out from behind a clump of trees by the side of the avenue.

"You're bleeding, my lord," he exclaimed in dismay.

"Don't mind me, fellow. I'll survive. We have to get the princess safely to the palace," he said, getting inside the buggy.

Within no time, they reached the palace, guards ran toward them when they saw a bleeding Victor alighting from the coach. Shrugging the men away, he carried Zena in his arms and strode inside the wide portals. Nan was alerted and came running.

"Call the doctor," Victor threw over his shoulder.

"What happened, Lord Martin? Where's Luke?" she exclaimed, stunned to see the unconscious Zena and her bleeding father.

"It's a long story, Nan. We have to see to her first," he said instead, taking Zena to her chamber and laying her on the bed.

"But Luke...." she persisted, her heart sinking with a dreadful premonition.

"Pray to God that the prince lives, Nan. They aimed for his heart....." Victor said, tears rushing to his own eyes. Would Luke survive?