Part 27-An Alliance

"Oh, my God!" Nan exclaimed, then rushed towards Zena's room.

She found the girl delirious, her dress soaked with sweat and vomit.

"Bring a basin of cold water and some towels," she told Peggy, then got down to work on the tiny buttons of her gown.

"The evening was a success, Prince Lucas," noted the Grand Duke Edmund, once the ball had ended and the guests had departed.

"Thank you, Lord Edmund. Your presence has gone a long way to make the party a success."

The two men were sitting in Luke's study, smoking cigars, and drinking bourbon, while Leticia had retired to her room, pleading tiredness.

"Have you considered my offer?" Edmund asked the younger man.

"At length, my friend. I'm happy to say that I have no compunctions about accepting it."

"You mean even about marrying my niece?"

"Yes. I'm ready to accept the princess's hand in marriage."

The Grand Duke clasped Luke's hand, shaking it vigorously, then raised his glass in a toast.

"To our alliance," he said, and Luke echoed his toast.

Nan stepped back, observing the girl lying on the narrow bed. She was washed and changed, but still unconscious. Her skin was pale with a faint bluish tinge. The doctor had been to see her again and given a concoction to be administered to her hourly.

Nan sank down to her knees, picked up her rosary, and said a quick prayer. Then, she sat down beside the girl, waiting for her to open her eyes.

Her mind wandered again and again to the same question. Who had poisoned the girl? Surely, Luke would not stoop so low. He had no need to, even. He could have her hanged at any time, citing her father's crimes. Yet, in front of her eyes, Luke had changed so much within the last few weeks, that Nan wondered if she ever knew him well.

Then, there were many in the palace who were jealous of Zena. The fact that she had been made the Royal Mistress, was something that many found hard to accept.

Nan sat back with a sigh, shaking her head, as if she could shake off her uneasy thoughts by doing that. She no longer knew what to think. Such things had never happened in the palace, to her knowledge. But times were changing and she wondered what else she might have to witness.

At present, the girl's life was her only priority. It was imperative that Luke be informed of this. She was under his care, even if he considered her a traitor's daughter.

Rising, she directed Peggy to keep watch, then went out in search of him. She found him in the study, sitting all by himself, gazing into the depths of his glass.

"Luke, there's something you should know," she started, then was taken aback by the look she saw in his eyes.

"Where's Zena? I have some news for her. I wish to see her face when I impart it to her," he said, a mocking, taunting smile playing on his lips.

Nan stared at his face for a moment, then waved a hand.

"Come," she said, leading him to Zena's room.

Peggy stumbled to her feet when she saw the visitor with Nan. Bowing, she moved back from the bed.

"Why have you brought me here, Nan?" Luke said frowning. "Get up, you lazy piece of uselessness," he addressed the unconscious woman.

Nan rounded on him.

"Don't you understand, son, that she has passed out from the effect of the poison?"

"Poison?" Luke was taken aback. "Tell me, Nan, what the matter is..."

"I have been trying to tell you that for hours, son. Someone has poisoned Zena."

"That can't be true!" Luke exclaimed in disbelief.

"I'm afraid that it is. The doctor has been to see her and he has confirmed it. She has been unconscious for hours, now."

Once again, Luke turned to glance at the woman lying on the bed, but this time he noted her ashen pallor and the sweat pooling on her brow. Her breathing was shallow as if it was difficult for her to breathe. He did not like what he saw.

"Call the doctor," he commanded.

"He has been to visit, Your Majesty," started Peggy, but he cut her off.

"Do it now!"

Bowing, Peggy ran to do his bidding.

"Who would do such a thing, Nan?"

"I have no idea, dear, but there is someone who wishes to see the poor girl dead."

Luke cast another glance at her, his heart pounding with an unknown emotion. She looked so helpless lying there, unable to realize what was happening around her. Nan had told him what the doctor had said. He still couldn't believe that someone would do such a dastardly act. Who had a greater reason to hate her, than him?

The doctor arrived, curtsying hastily.

"I want her conscious and well, doctor," Luke ordered.

"Yes....yes....Your Majesty, but that may take some time."

"Do what it takes, but do it quickly. You'll get any help you want," Luke said in a firm voice, brooking no excuses. With that, he walked out of the room, without a backward glance.

Nan stared at his departing back, her heart much lighter now. Her boy had not changed so much after all. He was still kind and considerate, just as she had raised him to be. He did care for Zena, however ambiguous those feelings might be. There was still hope for the girl, she was sure of it.