Part 14-A Royal Summon

"So, what did you tell him, sire?" Dave asked Luke as they sat drinking mulled wine.

"That I'll think upon it. Why don't you take up that post, Dave?" Luke asked the older man.

Dave, tall and well-muscled, was more of a friend to him. It would be best if was appointed the Chief Advisor. Anyway, Luke trusted him more than any of the nobles in his court.

"You know, sire, how I hate the idea of being tied down to a post. I like it better being your jack of all trades," Dave said, laughing.

Luke nodded. That was what he liked about Dave. The man wasn't power-hungry like Eddy Wilfred. The other man was another story altogether. Tall and lean, with his thin, pinched face, sparse hair, and pale eyes, he got on Luke's nerves with his fawning. They had discussed the war for some time before Luke had sent him packing.

"What are we going to do about the girl, sire?" Dave looked at him expectantly.

Luke studied the pyramid he had made of his fingers, before replying.

"I'll decide something. Let the matter rest, Dave."

Luke fell silent then, scared to look into his innermost thoughts. What stopped him from sending her to her death? It wasn't as if he cared what happened to her. Maybe, the longer she was kept alive, the longer it would feed his obsession with her. He had to decide soon.

It was late afternoon. The guards were sitting around a fire, singing bawdy songs. The sun was almost gone and darkness had started to spread in the cell. Zena heard the rumbling of her stomach. It almost hurt unbearably. She felt weak with hunger and fatigue. It was hardly a conducive environment to relax. Also, the sword of imminent death seemed to hang over her head. More than anything else, the monotony of her days was killing her.

She had fallen into a stupor when the loud noise of the lock turning startled her. She looked up, her heart pounding. Were they here for her?

"There's someone to meet you," a guard said, ushering a visitor into the cell.

The woman who had walked inside threw back the blanket which seemed to cover half her face.

Nan! Zena staggered to her feet, almost falling into the woman's arms with relief, tears running down her face.

"There, there, my child. Don't cry. I'm here now," she rubbed her back in comfort, then took off the blanket, draping it around the younger woman's shoulders.

Zena, thankfully, pulled the warm blanket around her thin form. It would not be long before the numbness in her body would leave. She sent a silent prayer to God.

Next, from the voluminous folds of her dress, Nan took out the bread, cold meats, and a pie.

"Here, eat this, my dear. I know you must have gone hungry for many a day."

Putting aside her good manners, Zena fell upon the food. It seemed like manna to her at the moment. Nan sat down on the floor with her, watching her eat, a satisfied smile on her face. Once she had eaten her fill, and the edge of hunger had been blunted, Zena turned to the motherly woman.

"How did you manage to enter the dungeons? Did no one stop you?" she asked in surprise.

Nan looked slightly abashed.

"For once, I lied that Luke had sent me. They did not dare question that," she said with a smile.

Zena clapped a hand to her mouth to stop the exclamation of surprise. Nan had taken a great risk for her.

"Do you too believe that my father is a traitor, Nan?" she asked the older woman.

Nan thought for a moment.

"I don't know what your father may or may not have done my child, but I do know that none of it is your fault."

"But Luke, I mean, his majesty, thinks that it is," she said with a sigh, tears falling down her cheeks again.

"I know, child, but I also know that one day, in the future, he will regret his decision. Keep faith, my girl, everything will be alright."

"He won't listen to me, Nan. He hates me so much," she said in a trembling voice.

Nan placed a hand on her arm, gently giving a comforting squeeze.

"I know how much you love him, my child. He is bound to realize that sooner or later."

She shook her head vehemently.

"It does not matter now, Nan. I can't go on loving a man who would punish me without even giving me a hearing."

"I have known him since he was a tiny babe, swaddled and just out of his mother's womb. I have seen him grow up. He may be hotheaded, but fair. I don't know why he reacted like this in your matter. Maybe, it is something to do with...." Nan stopped abruptly, checking herself.

Curious, Zena looked questioningly at the woman.

Nan shook her head.

"Rest now, my dear. It is quite late. I know this is no place for a lady like you, but there is a limit to what I can do."

Zena hugged the older woman.

"You have done enough, Nan. Thanks for the food and the blanket."

Nan hugged her back, wiped a tear from her eye, then walked out of the cell.

Zena lay down on the rush mat, drawing the blanket over herself. It wasn't long before she slipped into a fitful sleep.

A rude hand was shaking her roughly. Zena protested sleepily, till a blow landed on her back.

"Wake up, you low life."

The harsh voice brought her abruptly awake. She opened her eyes to see one of the maids standing over her.

"What is it?" she asked the mean-faced girl.

"Come with me. His Majesty has summoned you to his bed chamber. I have to get you ready for the night."