Part 41-A Conspiracy

Dave looked at the man searchingly. Was he telling the truth?

"Why should I believe you?" he asked the young soldier.

The young man stared at him straight in the eye.

"Because I know if I'm proven wrong, I'll surely face the noose. I'm a loyal subject of his majesty, my lord, and I'm telling the truth. I can swear that on my honor and nothing is greater than his honor to a soldier."

Dave nodded, accepting the truth of his words. He took the letter from the soldier, then opening it, read through the contents, his frown becoming darker.

"Will you be able to tell all this in front of his majesty?" Dave inquired, a tinge of doubt in his voice. Will the young man have enough courage to face Prince Lucas?

The man nodded, though his face lost some of its color. The name of Prince Lucas was enough to put terror in the hearts of lesser mortals.

"Come with me then," Dave told him, pointing to the carriage which stood a few feet away.

They left the secluded spot where the soldier had asked him to meet and traveled toward the royal palace.

"What do you mean that he knows about a conspiracy against Zorbia? How does it prove Martin innocent?" Luke asked, frowning. They were in the study, and Dave was trying to convince him to meet the man.

"Believe me, Your Majesty, I wouldn't ask this of you if I didn't have a strong conviction that he's speaking the truth."

Luke thought for a moment. What was the harm in hearing out the man? He could always be hanged, if he was found to be lying. But, what if he really proved that Martin was innocent? Would he, Luke, change his opinion of the man?

"Bring him in, then. Let's see what he has to say."

An hour later, Luke sat with Dave, a strong drink in his hand.

"So, Wilfred bribed a couple of army officers to steal these sensitive letters...." he mused, more to himself than as a way of conversation.

"Yes, sire, and he tried to portray as if Lord Martin was guilty of stealing them and supplying them to Valeria during the war."

"What about the money which was stolen? You know it was a considerable sum meant to pay the soldiers."

"He thinks that we can find out about it if we question those two officers, Hyde and Taylor."

"What are we waiting for, then? Send your men to arrest them and bring them here for questioning. We already know that they are guilty of stealing important communications."

A week later, Luke sat at his desk, going through the written confessions of the two men. They had, after some threats, blurted out the whole facts of the matter. Of course, the money could not be recovered, as most of it had been spent by Wilfred to pay off his gambling debts and to save his crumbling estate. Martin, who had been the officer-in-charge of the battalions, was the natural suspect. No one thought that the whole thing could have been orchestrated by the meek and mild-mannered Wilfred.

Where did it leave him then? If Martin was set up by Wilfred, it meant that he wasn't a traitor. Had never been one. Had he, then been punished for no fault of his? His estates had been confiscated and he had been forced to leave his home. His family name had been tarnished beyond repair. And Zena? How many hardships did she have to face for no fault of hers? Of course, Luke still hated Martin for his role in his mother's death, but he prided himself on his fairness. By that standard, what had taken place had been totally unfair.

As far as the matter of betraying his country's secrets and stealing the money meant for the soldiers was concerned, Martin was blameless. His men were out, looking for Wilfred, but the man had got wind of his actions and was on the run.

"What have you decided to do, my lord?" asked Dave, entering the study and securing the door after him. It was difficult to trust anyone at such a time.

"Send out more men. We must find Martin."

Far away from the palace, in an unknown city, situated on the border of Zorbia, a small fire burnt in a tiny cottage, no more than a scrawny hut. Elaine wiped her tears as another sniffle escaped her. Her husband was counting the money left in his silken pouch, swearing as he went.

"How long do we have to live like this, Eddy?" she asked, a sob choking her voice.

"As long as it takes, Elaine," was the dry reply.

"But all my dresses, and my new hat, are left back in the city. Couldn't we just take a short trip to get them?" she asked with a wail.

"Are you utterly mad, woman? You want me to enter the lion's den just to get your fripperies?"

"Couldn't you go by the night?" she persisted, unable to accept the fact that her fashionable wardrobe was lost to her.

"Have you, by any chance, decided to become a widow, my dear wife?" Wilfred taunted, rolling his eyes. Was the woman daft? The prince's men were everywhere, searching for him. He could return to the city only on pain of death.

At that moment, a knock sounded on the door and they sprang to alert.

"Are they here to take you?" whispered Elaine in a trembling voice.

"I hope not, Elaine," he scowled, going to peek out through the window, then let out a sigh of relief when he saw the two men standing outside. Opening the door a crack, he let them in.

"What news do you bring, Smith? It had better be good for your sake," he threatened the men.

"We have talked to the King of Valeria, and he is ready to help us."

"Wonderful, my friend. I was hoping that he would agree to my proposal."

"But he has laid down a condition, my lord."

"What condition?" Wilfred asked frowning.

"Once Prince Lucas is overthrown, he should be crowned the ruler of Zorbia."