Part 34-A Secret Lover

A number of people rushed toward the princess, where she lay unconscious on the floor. Luke picked her up in his arms and carried her to her room, where she was laid in the middle of her bed. Zena had followed the crowd out of curiosity. She now watched as the doctor was sent for, while Luke tried to revive her.

The doctor arrived, a frown on his face as he saw his patient. The onlookers held their breath while he checked her pulse.

"What's wrong with her, Doctor Harvey?" Luke asked, anxiety marring his features.

"I would like to examine her in private, Your Majesty," the doctor requested.

Everyone, except Luke, was ushered out of the room. Guests gathered outside in the hall, speculating about the incident. Would the betrothal go on as planned?

Zena returned to her room, sinking down on the bed, her mind occupied by what had just taken place. What could be wrong with the princess?

Sometime later, Molly came rushing, her eyes round with wonder.

"Have you heard what the doctor said?" she asked, conspiratorially.

Zena shook her head. She wasn't interested to know what ailed the woman. Suffice it to say that she welcomed the respite from the ceremony. She had no wish to see Luke get betrothed.

"The princess is with child. What a scandal it is! Nan says she has never seen such high drama in her life," Molly confided, her tone full of excitement.

Well, neither had Zena. It was high drama indeed! But wait! Luke and the princess had just met a few weeks back. How could she be pregnant?

Molly answered that question without being asked.

"People are saying that she had taken a secret lover," Molly said, in hushed tones.

Zena found that hard to believe. She would find out from Nan, what the truth was.

"Yes, indeed, my child, it is true. I was with Luke when she confessed that she had taken a fancy to a young soldier. The child is the result of that liaison. Luke is out of his mind with rage and the Grand Duke is busy pacifying him," Nan confirmed it.

Zena felt hysterical laughter bubble up inside her. Serves him right, she thought. How full of himself he had been about this betrothal, trying to humiliate her with the fact. Now, the humiliation was his and that of his intended. Would he be ready to accept some other man's child as his heir?

By evening, the betrothal was off and the guests were sent on their way. The princess and the Grand Duke had left in ignominy, threatening to call off the military alliance. A hush had fallen over the palace. The servants walked soft-footed, not talking above a whisper, lest they incur the wrath of their prince. Luke had sequestered himself into the study, with a bottle of bourbon.

Zena felt as if she had walked into a wake, though what was dead was Luke's pride. The next morning everything returned to normal when Lord Wilfred arrived bearing some news which obviously pleased Luke. Zena wondered what might be so to his liking that he would forget the slight caused to him by the princess of Esbiza.

Zena was sitting in her room, working on a tapestry when Luke's presence was announced. He strode into her room, but the arrogance was missing in his step. Zena looked up from the cloth she had been embroidering, wondering what he wanted with her.

"May I sit down?" he asked, pointing to the place beside her on the bed.

Zena was taken aback. She had never heard him ask permission before, and anyway, why should he? He was the ruler of Zorbia.

Zena mutely nodded, and he sat down beside her, his body almost touching hers.

"What are you making?" he asked, holding out his hand.

She held up the cloth for his inspection. He ran a finger over the coat of arms of Zorbia that she was needling on the cloth.

"Beautiful," he whispered. "You're really talented."

"What do you want, Luke?" she asked, not interested in small talk, nor trusting him in this mood.

"Can I not visit you just for the pleasure of it?" he retorted, tucking a stray curl away from her forehead.

"We both know what you think of me, Luke. I doubt that you feel any pleasure in being here."

"You're wrong there, Zena. You must realize how upset I'm by the recent events. I never expected to be betrayed by the princess in this manner."

Zena desisted from saying that in her opinion he deserved it. He was a good one to talk of betrayal. Hadn't he betrayed her love so cruelly?

"Say something....since when have you become so hard-hearted?" he asked, sporting a wide-eyed, innocent look.

"What should I say, Luke?"

"Aren't you happy that the betrothal is off? Don't tell me that you felt nothing to see me marry another woman?"

"Would anything have changed if I had any objections? Would you have called the betrothal off had I asked you to?" she counter-questioned.

"You will never know that, my darling, for you lost that opportunity."

"Well, I'm not complaining, Your Majesty...." she replied, a small smile playing on her lips. His ego had obviously been badly hurt, and he was looking to her to massage it. She would be a fool if she fell for it.

"How can you sit there, so composed when I'm agitated by recent events? Don't you feel even a little sympathy for me? Don't you feel anything at my nearness?" he whispered, in a 'small boy who got hurt' tone.

Zena shrugged her shoulder. What could she tell him? That his nearness was like a fire burning through the thin material of her gown? That his presence made her heart race? Those feelings had always got her in trouble.

Luke gave her a burning look and then gathered her into his arms. His head swooped down on hers and his lips met her own. Zena stayed stiff, not reacting, until he picked her up in his arms, and carried her toward his bedchamber.

Zena struggled in his hold.

"Let me go, this very moment," she said, forgetting that she was ordering him.

"I need you, Zena. I'll go mad if I can't have you..." he whispered against her ear, walking into his room with her.