Part 30-A Revelation

Zena looked him in the eye.

"I won't do it, Luke," she said firmly.

Luke seemed flabbergasted at her words. Was she out of her mind to refuse him?

"I think I haven't heard you correctly," he said, anger clouding his gaze.

With great effort, Zena rose from the bed, holding onto the bedpost. Facing him squarely she addressed him in a clear voice.

"Yes, you heard me alright. You can have me hanged for it, or thrown into the dungeon, but I won't be a maid to your....the princess."

"Even noble ladies will vie to be a lady's maid to my consort, then what do you think of yourself that you are refusing me?"

"How can you say that after what happened between us?" she stared at him imploringly.

"Do you mean to say that you wish to continue as my mistress, instead?"

"No! I never said that. Only, don't make me do this," she pleaded, a hand to her head, as the room spun around her.

Zena lost her balance and stumbled, but he was quick on his feet and held her arm, drawing her against his body to support her. She lay there, her head against his heart, as slowly the dizzy spell passed.

When he made no move to let her go, she raised her face to look at him.

"Thank you....." she whispered, her sweet breath mingling with his.

Luke gazed at the upturned face, noting the heightened color on her cheeks, the shallow breathing, and the sheer beauty of her. Of its own volition, his body reacted, recognizing hers, and wanting a nearness he craved.

His head dipped and their lips met, seeking what only the other could give. It lasted until, out of breath, they surfaced to take in gulps of air. He wanted to carry her to his room and spend the evening making exquisite love to her, but she shrugged out of his arms, going to sit on the bed. Her face had paled, and he knew it had been taxing for her after her ordeal which had almost cost her her life.

Without a word, he turned to go, but a hand on his arm stopped him. He stared at it pointedly, removing it and meaning to walk out.

"Wait, Luke...." The softly spoken words stopped him in his tracks.

He faced her once again, noting the plethora of questions in her eyes.

"Why do you hate me so much?" she asked.

"You are the traitor's daughter, aren't you?"

"No! Don't give me that. Even had my father been a traitor, it still doesn't make me one. I'm innocent of any wrongdoing of his, whether imagined or otherwise," she answered, watching the emotions flitting across his face.

"What else could it be?" he asked, trying to prevaricate.

"I don't know, Luke, but I believe there is something you're keeping from me. Please, tell me what it is," she pleaded.

He just shrugged, not choosing to reply.

"Don't think you have heard the last of being Leticia's maid," he said, then strode out, slamming the door after him.

Zena sat there, staring at the closed door after him, her mind still occupied with the numerous questions running through it. There was something, other than her father's betrayal, which made Luke act in such a manner. She was sure of it. Only, he wasn't ready to share it with her. Who could tell her about it? Maybe Nan? She would have to find out.

Zena breathed out a sigh, leaning against the pillows. Why did he want her to act as Princess Leticia's maid? He knew that she loved him, and though, he had been ruthless with her, somehow that love had refused to die. Perhaps, because he was her first love. The first man who had stolen her heart and had awakened the woman in her. Although, had she known that he was Prince Lucas, she would have steered clear of him.

He was clever, and he knew just how he could hurt her. Obviously, his own avowal of love, that day, long ago, in the cabin at Blackwood Forest, hadn't meant anything. Had he felt anything for her, he wouldn't have expected her to serve his wife, knowing how much pain that would cause her.

The next morning Nan came to look in on her, accompanied by Peggy bearing the breakfast tray.

"You are hiding here, Zena, and out there, the whole palace is abuzz with the news of his majesty's betrothal to Princess Leticia of Esbiza."

"Enough of it, for now, Peggy. Let the girl eat in peace," Nan chided, sending the maid on her way.

Amidst spoonfuls of porridge, Zena addressed Nan.

"He wants me to be the lady's maid to the princess."

"What! How can he, knowing that the two of you...." Nan exclaimed, her words trailing away.

"For that very reason, Nan. He wants to hurt me by doing this. Do you know why he hates me so much? It can't be just because of my father."

Nan seemed to ruminate on her words for some time. Then, she placed a hand on hers.

"In a way, it too is about your father, Zena."

"How?"

"It's not for me to share, my child, but suffice it to say that there are reasons."

"Please, Nan. I can't bear this anymore," Zena pleaded, moisture gathering in her eyes, and tumbling down her cheeks.

Nan let out a deep sigh, then rose to secure the door. Coming back, she sat down and faced Zena.

"Before I was Luke's nurse, I was a maid to his mother, the queen, Sophia. She was a girl at that time, unmarried and young. Your father was a regular visitor to her parents' house. Soon, they had become close friends, and I suspect that your father might have loved her too."

"What! Tell me that isn't true!"

Zena sat with her head in her hands. How could it be possible? Her father and his mother? No wonder Luke hated her. He must know the whole story about them. She knew there must be more, which Nan wasn't telling her. She must confront him with it, tell him she knew what troubled him, and make him understand that none of it was her fault. Whatever had happened, it must have been before her birth, for her parents had been totally in love.

Firmly determined to challenge him with the truth, she rose from her bed.

"Where is he, Nan?"