Chapter 11: A Troubled Beauty

"Here you go, Peach," Kamek said as he gave her a necklace with a blue gem, "it's a gift from Junior."

"Oh, it's lovely," Peach said as she looked at the gold necklace that made the light blue gem pop. It even looked like it was glowing as she put it on.

"Indeed, Junior told me to give it to you as a gift from Bowser." Kamek explains, which made her hold the gem. "But we both know you would never accept a gift from him." And that comment made her uncomfortable.

It had become clear Kamek had some bitter feelings towards Peach, but he still treated her with kindness. She never noticed these feelings, maybe because she hardly spoke to him or they were never around each other for so long. He was always cheerful when talking to her, but she noticed he tried to avoid her as much as possible. Like the other day, when Junior invited him to join them in the garden for a picnic, he told them he was busy with a new spell and couldn't join. Puffing away before they could ask him to stay. Even when Bowser was calling him, and he didn't show up, he had to go all the way up to his tower; Bowser still didn't bring him down when he came back. Peach shifted her weight as she wondered what she did that made him dislike her.

"Is something the matter?" Kamek asked. Peach watched his face, but she only saw his round glass, not telling how he felt.

"Um, Kamek, can I ask you a question? It's one that may hurt someone's feelings but I want to know the truth."

Kamek raised a brow but nodded to let her ask.

"Do you hate me?" Peach asked, which made him open his mouth as that caught him off guard. Even though he was in shock, returning from the straightforward question didn't take long.

"Hate is a strong word. Disfavor would fit better." He admitted, Peach looking down to the ground as she kept listening to why that was.

"I know you hardly know anything about Bowser besides the things you've learned from all the times you've been kidnapped or the three weeks- almost a month you've been here is all you know but." Kamek stopped, letting out a tired sigh, "Bowser is like my son. I watched and raised him as if he was my own. It hurts to watch him get heartbroken over and over again by the same person... He's my King first and foremost but I'll always look out for him as if he was my son first and foremost. Till then, I'll do my best to make you feel like family. I don't wish to cause bad blood between us."

"That's going to be hard knowing the truth...." Peach said, looking at the old Koopa

"You wish for the truth, and you got it." He replied as he started to fly past her before stopping next to her. "When you see Bowser, thank him for the necklace. Not for my sake or his, but for Junior." And he kept flying till she was left alone in the hall. Peach looked down at the necklace before putting it on so Junior could be happy. She decides to talk to Bowser about this just to reassess herself. She didn't want to feel this anxious feeling any more than she already was.

Junior carries Luigi over to Bowser's offices as he tells Luigi all the fun things that have happened between him and Peach.

"And she's been teaching me how to make cupcakes! With homemade buttercream! It tastes so good!" Junior told his story.

"That sure sounds like her. You should ask her how to make her signature homemade pear pudding cake; that's actually good." Luigi giggled as he sat in Junior's hand.

"Pear pudding cake? I've never had any, I'll ask her when I see her today!" Junior said before slowly stopping, "Um, Luigi, why did it sound like you met her before?"

Luigi's eyes widened as he realized his mistake; he closed his eyes and waved his hands.

"Well, both you and your dad talk about her so much, it makes me feel like I've known her my whole life," Luigi said with an award smile.