Chapter 19: Fireworks

Bowser lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. He had been rethinking his choices in the last few months. It was fun, having Peach there to play with Junior, and seeing Junior have such a happy time was bliss for the two of them. But when she left, it was a mess, and it was clear that he let it get to his head - especially if a little wooden doll yelled at him. Greenie, or Luigi, as Junior called him, seemed to have some good points regarding family, and now Bowser thinks he may have a point. He didn't like it, not one bit, but the more he thought, the more the toy was right. He kept making the same promise to Junior about having a perfect family. He didn't realize that he had broken that promise all over again once she left. He didn't know that he felt she needed to be here to have joyful moments when Junior had already made those moments with him and Kamek. And the most significant thing was that he didn't realize that Peach being here was a want like Greenie said; he never needed her here, he never needed to marry her, and he definitely didn't need her to make Junior happy. He let out a deep sigh; he really didn't know what he needed and wanted, which was upsetting and confusing. Can he really just give up on his love for Peach? Would it break Junior's heart if he told him that Peach wasn't going to be his Mama anymore? What would happen with the Darkland and the Mushroom Kingdom? The Arrangement? The newfound friendship that he made with her?

Bowser sat up and put his head in his hands. This was too much to think about right now, and he still had another problem to deal with at the moment as well. That problem is Greenie. The day after Greenie's outburst, Bowser needed to talk to both Kamek and Junior about this since he never wanted Junior to know about Greenie. They admitted that Kamek had been letting Junior play with him since Junior kept asking for a new toy. Junior told him that it's been going on since he took Greenie away from him. This set him off a bit, but they told him it's a good thing since Greenie has a good influence on him, and Junior loves having him around. Junior also told him that the doll liked being called Luigi, even though he thought the name Greenie fit him better.

Bowser got out of bed and decided that he was going to drink some hot milk to go back to sleep. As he left for the kitchen, he decided to take the long way, hoping walking around the castle would do him good too. He just kept thinking about his worries as he walked down the hall, letting his body take him to the kitchen, but instead, his body took him to the empty tower. He couldn't help but wonder if Greenie was up there tonight, too; he always seemed more awake at night than the rest of them and still had energy for the next day. He went up the tower; talking to him could help his troubled mind.

Not much of a surprise when he saw Greenie sitting on the balcony, looking out on the kingdom again. He would run and hide when he first started to check on him, but now he just stayed seated and glanced at Bowser before returning to the view. Bowser would just leave afterward to give him space, but tonight was not that night. He leaned against the balcony next to Greenie as they both looked at the village in the distance; bright lights and noise could be heard as they watched silently.

"What are they celebrating?" Luigi asks in wonder. Bowser had to think since he didn't join the celebration since he finds that most Koopa gets a bit stressed when he shows up.

"I believe it is for the harvest that's coming up, bring hope that it will be good this year before winter comes." Bowser said as he looked out.

"You guys get snow out here?" Luigi asks, a bit confused.

"No we don't, but we get a lot of rain during that time. Also the land here is just awful to grow crops so in the fall is really the only good time it is good to grow food since the soil softens up a bit and the rain helps," Bowser explained as he looked down at Luigi.

"Why aren't you down there?"

"I don't do so well at parties, besides I already know the outcome. It's going to be the same as last year - barely any food for the kingdom." Bowser said as he saw Luigi pull a sad face at that. Bowser looks back down, not wanting to add that he will have to attack another kingdom to cover for the rest of the food shortages.