Chapter 37: Starry Night

"Man, I'm sore," Bowser said as he sat at the kitchen table. Just like Luigi had promised, he got Bowser and Kamek to come to the Blue Shell Fair with him and Junior. Bowser was awkward at first, not knowing if it was a good idea, but oh boy, he was glad he got to see how excited everyone was to see him there. Not to mention the pure joy on Junior's face as he pulled him around, even when it seemed that Bowser may have ruined it but didn't. It also brought him joy when he saw the fun Luigi and Kamek were having as they mostly watched the two. Jumping in a few times but mostly letting Bowser and Junior have all the fun while Bowser would catch Luigi getting flustered about something Kamek had told him since he had a cocky smile on his face every time Bowser looked at the two.

"You don't have to tell me twice," Luigi said as he grabbed two cups for both of them. Filling it up with hot chocolate instead of coffee as it has become the norm for him and Bowser to have hot chocolate this late into the night. Sometimes, Luigi would drink hot chocolate in the morning out of habit when he made breakfast. "I'm starting to feel my joints ache too."

"Thank you," Bowser said as Luigi gave him his cup, sipping Luigi's version of his hot chocolate. Every time, it tasted different, and Bowser loved it as Luigi tried his best to make the same kind of hot chocolate he did, but Bowser loved the charm that came with Luigi. The main thing that was always the same was the taste of peppermint, no matter if it was strong or you could only taste a hint of it.

"So, tell me, did you have fun?" Luigi said as he sat beside him, as the smile came to Bowser's face.

"I haven't had that much fun at the Blue Shell Fair in years. I honestly don't remember when was the last time I had this much fun at the fair." Bowser told him as he tried to remember the last time he went to the fair. He was maybe just a young teen the last time he went, not having fun as that was around the same time King Boo was around him 24/7. It made Bowser frown for a moment, just enough for Luigi to spot it before Bowser had a smile on his face again. "But this year sure take the cake, that's for sure!"

Luigi couldn't help but notice the sad face he pulled. The last time he wanted must have gone sour for Bowser that it tugged at Luigi's heartstrings. Luigi was at least happy to know that this year was different, but he felt that maybe there was more that he could do for Bowser. Get his mind away from the past and replace it with something new and sweeter.

"Hey, are you tired yet?" Luigi asked as Bowser raised his brow at the sudden change of topic.

"No, not at all. Why?" Bowser asked as Luigi pulled a shy smile.

"Want to go on a ride?" Luigi asked. Bowser was quiet at first, studying Luigi's face as if he had said something odd. The more he stared, the more embarrassed Luigi felt as his cheek started to heat up. It led to Luigi turning away from him as he began to stutter, "I-i-i mean we don't have t-to! I j-just t-thought that you like to. O-of course if you're t-too tired, we can go to b-bed together- I mean! You- yes, you- you can g-go to bed. Hehehe...wait, you just said y-you're not tired-"

Bowser watches Luigi as he stutters, mumbles, and fumbles with his words. Honestly, the only reason that Bowser was quiet at his question was the fact that he was trying to figure out if Luigi was asking him out on a date or just wanted to hang out as friends. Yes, he wanted to go on a ride with him. Yes, he wanted to go to bed and sleep next to him. He wanted to say yes to everything that was coming out of Luigi's mouth as he kept looking down; Bowser was just afraid that if he straight out said yes, he would scare him away. That he just wanted to hang out. Be buds. Not go out and do something lovers do.

Bowser snapped out of his thoughts when Luigi stood up and started to walk away. Bowser acted on his own when he got up and grabbed Luigi's arm, watching as Luigi turned to face him. They were both silent during the sudden act as Bowser noticed the blush hidden on Luigi's face by the red dot on his cheek. Luigi also noticed the look on Bowser's face; he was shocked and worried in his eyes, as if he was about to break down. Bowser had to look away when he looked into Luigi's eyes; he could see he was worried for him. Bowser let go of him and let out a cough, the blush now showing on his face.