Chapter 31: Problem after Problem

Bowser lay in bed, wide awake, as Luigi lay on his chest and Junior beside him. With all the crying that Luigi was doing, he had passed out. So Bowser had to take him to Kamek to check on him, and Kamek said that Luigi would be fine and just let him rest, even giving him a small blanket to wrap Luigi in. It had really scared Bowser as he walked back to his room, hoping that Luigi would wake up soon, and to his surprise, he found Junior waiting in his bed when he came back. Junior had a nightmare and wanted to sleep in Bowser's bed since Luigi wasn't in his room, and he could see why when his dad came walking in with him. Bowser didn't tell Junior what had happened and just told him that Luigi had fallen asleep, which was enough as Junior had asked if the blanket had put Luigi to sleep. Bowser told him yes and got in bed, letting Junior give Luigi a kiss before he cuddled up against his dad and fell asleep.

However, Bowser has been up since then, thinking about what he should do and can do. He should confront Mario and tell him how much of an ass he is, but he knows he can't. He can give Luigi more free time to hang out with Mario, but should he if Luigi is just going to keep breaking down from the constant reminder that his brother doesn't remember him? He should leave this alone, but he can't. He can be helpful but shouldn't get in between the two. He should be focusing on building relationships for peace and not fixing family drama. Still, he can help when he shouldn't. He should do this or that, but he wouldn't, couldn't, and shouldn't with every thought that came to mind. Now, Bowser was the one who was going mad with all this as he kept looking down at Luigi to make sure he was okay. Making sure that Luigi wasn't faking being asleep like he did every time he lay in Bowser's bed since Bowser had to find out through Kamek that Luigi couldn't sleep either unless he was in his own bed.

It made Bowser feel helpless as he tried to help the one person who, indeed, was vulnerable. All he can do right now is take care of him as he uses his index finger to give him head scratches since Luigi was using his thumb as a pillow. Despite his head and hair being wood, it felt like actually hair that was just playing on a hard surface as Bowser claw traced the indents in them. He wished the same could be said about Luigi's face since it was just smooth wood and not soft skin.

"What am I going to do with you?" Bowser whispers, noticing as bits of sunlight are coming into the room. It was already morning, and he didn't realize it as he turned his head to rub his eyes, the motion waking Junior up.

"W-what time is it?" Junior yawned as he rubbed his eyes, too.

"Time to go back to sleep, the sun is only waking up," Bowser told him as he ruffled his bed hair. However, Junior just places his muzzle over Bowser's chest, looking at Luigi as he reaches to fix his blanket on him. He patted him down to smooth out his blanket, letting his hand rest on Luigi and underneath Bowser's hand.

"Papa is okay...right Dad?" Junior asks as he gives him a side eye to watch his reaction. Bowser just gave him a bittersweet smile before trying to sit up, but it was more like he just used his elbows to hold him up as he balanced Luigi on his chest.

"Of course he is, he's just tired is all. Staying up late will make you super sleepy." Bowser told him, but Junior just pulled a long face.

"No, Dad, I mean, is he okay. Okay with...Mario and the others being here?" Junior asks as Bowser gives him a shocked stare, "After all, Papa is thrilled when they're here, and a little scared but...but it looks like he's forcing himself to be happy. I mean, he likes Mama Peach, but he looks annoyed with her when no one is looking or if I call her Mama. Or when he's with Mario, he's happy but gets scared or maybe sad every time he stops paying attention to him. I sometimes see him do it with you, too, Dad."

Bowser raised his brow at the last part before looking at Luigi. Luigi did it with him, too? He hoped that it was good, as his heart skipped a beat before it started to pound. No, it was probably nothing, and Junior was just up to something, but Bowser didn't know if the pounding was from fear or some sort of crush. After all, his heart pounded like this when he first had a desire for Peach. A crush that would be ridiculous; he can't fall in love with a doll. Well, Luigi was human, so it's not too absurd, but still, won't it look a little weird?