Rick/Daryl - I forgot but I am here.

mentions of past trauma 
There is also small nudity and a bathtub scene but nothing NSFW 

--

Daryl was pacing, his scent soured. Rick made his way down the stairs adjusting his belt, his hat tipped forward, he lifted his head up and sniffed. "Dare?"

Daryl turned towards his mate, his eyes narrowed. "Where are you going?"

"Work. I have to work."

Daryl sighed. "Be safe, I love you."

Rick cocked his head, he didn't understand why his omega was upset but he leaned forward and gave him a soft kiss. Daryl returned it and watched him leave, he sunk to the floor. Rick just left, and he didn't even know why he was upset. Daryl wrapped his arms around his knees and just cried. His alpha was off on such an important day, but maybe it's not as important as he thought. They had been mated for years now, so maybe he was the one that was more concerned about it than he was. He just kept crying, tears rolled down his cheeks. Carl was thankfully already at school, and he didn't have to worry about him being concerned he was crying and upset.

Rick was sitting in the cruiser, Shane beside him.

"I'm surprised you're working today." Shane began, "Isn't it an important day or am I wrong?"

Rick's head quickly turned towards his alpha partner. "What?"

"Isn't it an important date for you and your omega?" Shane asked again.

Rick's brow furrowed. "What is today?"

Shane pulled his phone out and showed Rick the screen. "Oh I did not... Oh god he's pissed."

"Well, it's not a huge thing right you can go home and give him a cake as an apology."

"I forgot.. I fucking forgot and now he is alone..."

"It's not like you meant to, it is kind of important not like its an anniversary or anything."

"Today is the anniversary of when we saved him Shane, it's an important date. I- I have got to go home. He's alone, and all the memories and..."

"It's been ten years."

"It may have been a day on the job for us, but it was Daryl's whole life. That was how we met!" Rick snapped back. Shane nodded and lifted his hands up in defeat. Rick was trying to get a hold of his boss to see if anyone can take his shift, he was in a panic. "Would he hate me more if I lied and said I was going to work so I could get him a cake and something soft.... I-."

"You do you man, but he is Daryl. He may find out the truth."

Rick grunted but understood, and Shane was right. He needed to be there, he needed to help his omega get through the day. He was thankful that it wasn't a busy day and someone could take his shift. He raced to the nearest bakery and got a box of cupcakes, as well as a cake. He got some flowers, a card, and then raced home.

Daryl was laying on the couch, tears stained his face still. He yelped as the door was kicked open, he quickly placed himself behind the couch thinking someone was coming to get him. "Daryl?"

Daryl slowly popped his head up recognizing his alphas voice. "Alpha?!"

"I am so sorry honey, I should not have left I am so sorry."

Daryl slowly made his way out from behind the couch, he was surprised to see the flowers and the treats. "Alpha..."

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have left, I- I did forget Daryl and I am so sorry." Rick placed everything down and wrapped his arms around his omega quickly. Daryl snuggled into rick, he was rubbing his face and nose into his alphas scent glands, his own scent no longer sour. The brown sugar and pine smell began to fill the house once more, Rick sighed as he felt Daryl relax. "Honey I am so sorry for going.. I didn't even.. I didn't think."

Rick held Daryl close, he remembered that day ten years ago when he found Daryl. He was trapped in an alpha drug house, he was used as a drug mule and for their own enjoyment. Daryl held onto Rick, and just cried, but he had his alpha and that was safe. He just held onto him tightly. "Alpha..."

"I've got you."

"I'm sorry." Daryl whimpered.

"You have no reason to apologize. You did nothing." Rick replied. "I saved you, I should have remembered. I'm here." Rick picked Daryl up and carried him bridal style to the couch. He leaned in and he held him tightly, Daryl snuggled into his alpha their scents mixing together, but it was bright and light and it made them both feel better than it had before. Daryl was thankful that his alpha came home, even though he felt horrid about it. He hated having such a reaction whenever the day of his saving came around, he knew it shouldn't bring it up. He was saved, and now he had love and care. Yet he still had such a reaction, because everything came back to him. He was nervous, yet he knew he had to just live his life. "You're okay.. It's okay."

Daryl cuddled with his alpha knowing his son would be coming back soon, but he just needed to be with Rick now. He needed to breath, but he had been hurt by him leaving. Yet he knew he couldn't blame him. "Thank you alpha..."

"I forgot..."

"You came back," Daryl retorted. "That means more to me than anything..."

Rick tipped his chin up and kissed him lovingly. "I will never forget again, and I will always be here for you darling. My omega." Rick promised kissing him again. Daryl kissed him back.

"Thank you for being here for me." Daryl whispered back. Rick smiled as he pulled out a cupcake form the containers, he handed the cupcake over to his mate. Daryl nibbled on it, his scent brightening more.

"How about we get you a bath to cool down before our pup gets home from school huh?"

Daryl nodded, Rick kissed him and made his way up the stairs and filled up the bath adding a calming bath bomb. Rick came back down the stairs, picked him up carefully, and carried him up the stairs. He helped him undress and placed him in the care, he turned on some music and helped clean him off. He scrubbed his body with a scrubby sponge. Daryl sighed in thanks while Rick continued to care for him. "I'm here. I will always be here." Rick reassured him. Daryl leaned his head up and the two kissed once more.