Six

December

December

Odette sighed, staring outside the window. It was a cloudy day in Ithaca, New York. The highest temperature ran 57 degrees. The young girl could only watch as bird flew in the sky or how the tree branches swayed softly in the wind.

Closing her eyes, she pictured on what it would be like to be anything but a vampire. A butterfly perhaps? She pictured on what color her wings would be and what patterns would lay on them. She thought on what meadows she would fly in and what flowers would be her favorite to stop at. She wondered if she would be friends with butterflies, if butterflies even have friends to begin with.

Opening her palm, she felt a tickling sensation in it before it quickly moved to her nose. Fluttering her eyes open, she was met with a pair of bright blue wings.

Picking up her creation carefully, she stared at the blue butterfly in amazement. The butterfly had black along the edges, a striped pattern on her wings.

"What a lovely creature you are." She hummed, taking her two fingers and gently petting it's spine. "If you were a real butterfly, I bet you would be the prettiest one out there. Wouldn't you think so too?"

Almost as if it was a way of saying it agreed with her, the butterfly flapped it's wings before taking flight, a trail of light blue dust following behind it. Odette smiled giddily at the sight, watching it in fascination as it circled around her, landing on top of the blonde's head.

Trying to look up at it, she smiled at it one last time. "Goodbye friend." She whispered before waving her hand, the blue butterfly disappearing almost instantly.