Nine

"I just feel weak, y'know

"I just feel weak, y'know." Bella Swan muttered, her hands shoved into her armpits. Her and Odette were on the deck, Bella sitting in one of the chairs as Odette leaned against the ledge. "I feel like I should be doing something more to help."

"Bella, I hate to put it like this but, there's nothing you can do." Odette said concerningly. "You're still human, you can't fight off vampires. Especially newborns."

"I know, I know, I just..." Bella sighed, running a hand through her dark brown locks. "Have you ever felt this helpless?"

"If we're being honest..." the blonde chuckled, the brunette nodding at her words. "These days, I feel the most weak I have ever felt in my 400 years of living."

"Why?" Bella asked, looking at the blonde in confusion.

"Bella, this conversation isn't about me..."

"Well now it's about you." She turned the topic around. "I've noticed that you've been off. I'm no empath, but I'm not... blind either."

"It's..." she paused. There was a beat of silence as the blonde played with her necklace. "You know how last year... when Edward left you, you went all..."

"Depressed." Bella finished for her, cringing at the memories of how she was last year.

"Well," Odette chuckled again, "I think that's what has been going on with me. Albeit, the feeling isn't as strong since I'm a vampire and therefore stronger than a human. No offense." Bella shrugged a bit. "But... I feel empty. I know I've only met Alec once, I know. I've probably talked to everyone about this at least a dozen times, but none of them... none of them..."

"They don't really understand what you're going through." Bella nodded. "No, when the events that happened last year happened, I felt like a shell of myself. It was like I was there but I wasn't there, I was alive but not living."

"That's kinda how I am right now." Odette said, now excited that someone was finally connecting with her on this. "I don't daydream anymore, I only really go hunting when I need too, I don't get excited about new clothes or books. It's like I'm just here, and I left my will to live in Volteera with Alec Volturi. All I think about is him too. I think about his face, his hair, his eyes, his voice. It's so out of character for me to be this obsessed!"

"Have you tried... have you tried looking for a distraction?" Bella asked, catching the much older girl's attention.

"A distraction? From my mate?"

"Not like that." Bella shook her head. "When I in my era of... you know, I felt so alone."

"Right."

"But then..." she trailed off, a ghost of a smile on her face. "I started getting close with Jacob."

"Oh." Odette scrunched up her nose, the human giving her a look that said 'watch it'. "But anyways, he was kinda like my silencer lining, you know? But sunshine on a rainy day, as cliche as that sounds."

"Bells, dear, where exactly are you going with this?" Odette sighed, raising a brow at her.

"All I'm saying is that maybe you need to find a silver lining." She then sighed, looking down at her watch. "I gotta go, my dad wants me home in an hour."

Odette nodded, Bella standing from her seat as she grabbed her backpack from the floor. Slinging it over her shoulder, Bella took one last glance at the blonde. "If you ever need someone to talk to, I'll listen."

"Thanks Bella, I really do appreciate that." The human smiled at the vampire before heading inside the house, leaving the blonde to her thoughts once more.

***

The day after her and Bella's heart to heart, Odette was now in Charlie Swan's kitchen. Alice sat next to her on the dining room, Charlie making the two girl's a cup of coffee.

"You two aren't into camping then?" Charlie asked, settling the mugs down in front of them. Alice grabbed the handle gently as Odette spoke.

"No sir, we don't find the activity appealing." The blonde answered, a smile on her face. "That's why we were hoping you would let Bella stay with us for the weekend?"

"No Edward?" Charlie asked with a blank face.

"No sir." Alice confirmed. "It'll just be us girls. We'll probably make Bella have a spa day with us."

"Good luck with that." Charlie chuckled, taking a sip of his coffee. Odette cleared her throat, pretending to do the same thing with her drink as she stared at table. She felt somewhat guilty for lying to the Police Chief, but this was all for Bella's safety. And what Charlie Swan didn't know the better. "Alright, you two are nice girls. I don't see the harm. Gives me an excuse to call up the guys or go fishing."

"Yayy!" Alice cheered, clapping her hands in excitement as Odette just smiled.

Walking the girls out, the two said their goodbyes to the older man just as Bella pulled up in her truck. "Don't be strangers girls!" Charlie called out to them before closing the door.

Meeting Bella in the yard, the brunette had a confused look on her face as she looked at the two girls in front of her. "Your alibi for the battle is all set." Alice hummed, Bella nodding slightly.

"We told your dad that our whole family's going camping this weekend. So you, Alice, and I are having a sleep over at my house. Charlie is going fishing or something anyways."

"Charlie?" Bella almost laughed. "You guys run on a first name basis now?"

"Us, he likes us." Alice said smugly. "But actually, you and Edward will have the house to yourselves tonight."

"Like alone?"

"We're all going hunting, powering up for the battle." Alice sang, winking at Bella as she looped her arm with Odette. "You're so welcome."