Ten

Alec Volturi was loyal

That was the best quality about him. He had pledged his loyalty to only a few people in his life time.

The first person being his twin sister, Jane. Jane and Alec always had a close bond, even when they were human. He would do anything for his twin sister, Jane likewise for her brother.

The Volturi was the second to earn his loyalty. The coven had taken him and his sister in when they were tossed in a fire by angry villagers, almost killing the pair of siblings completely if it wasn't for the vampires. The kings made him into something great and powerful, teaching him to use his vampire abilities properly and how to control the unquenchable thirst for human blood when needed. They had trained him to not only protect them and others, but to also defend himself when the time came. And for that, they earned his loyalty, Alec becoming the second best guard in their ranks, his twin sister taking the first spot of course.

So when Aro ordered Jane to go fetch the Cullen vampire, he had no problem in staying behind so he could follow his master's orders to kill the boy. Even more pleased when she had brought back three vampires instead of one, and a human to go along.

"Sister, we sent you out to get one and you bring back three and a half." He praised lightly as his sister moved to stand next to him. "What a clever girl." Moving his eyes from his sister to the group of civilians, he analyzed each of them carefully.

The human he knew wouldn't be a problem, along with the Cullen boy. He knew that the pixie-haired girl could look into the future, which might make it a bit trickier for the normal vampire guard, but with his special power he could easily erase her senses, making her death quick and easy.

Eyes moving from the shorter one, his eyes trailed towards the blonde one. Staring at her, he thought she wasn't a threat as her golden eyes locked with his and... oh.

It was like the world became more clearer to the boy, his senses heightening. Had the throne room always smelt like peonies and lemon grass? Or was that just new? And since when has his body felt this warm inside? Not in ages, he was sure.

It frightened him, the way he reacted to seeing the strange vampire girl. Why hadn't he seen her before? Was she new to the Olympic Coven? She must be, for he had run in with Edward and Carlisle Cullen many times, that if she wasn't new then he would've met this darling sight in front of him before. Right?

It was an odd sensation, it was as if the blonde beauty had already taken ahold of every aspect of his life, and he doesn't even know her name yet. It was unnatural to feel this way about someone just by looking at them! But alas, thinking back on it, he had seen it happen before him so many times, other former/current guard members just so happening to find their mates on missions for the Kings.

Before, he never understood how the mate bond could make a vampire feel alive again. But now, as he stared into the eyes of this light-haired vixen, he could've sworn he felt his heart beat for only a moment, stopping once the stranger had pulled her eyes away from his thanks to the advice of Alice.