Eight

"How long?" Edward asked, having a protective arm sling around Bella

As the party continues downstairs, upstairs in Carlisle's office was a meeting. Bella, Edward, Alice, Jasper, Carlisle, and Odette were going back and forth on the discussion of what Alice saw. Jacob was standing in the back corner, Quill and Embry standing near him.

"They'll be here in four days."

"This could turn into a blood bath." Carlisle said grimly.

"Who's behind it?" Odette asked, leaning against the wall.

"I don't know. I didn't recognize anyone... well, maybe one."

"I recognize him." Edward said, having gone through Alice's head again. "He's local, Riley Biers." Odette noticed Bella's eyes flicker, something of a familiarity in them. "He didn't start this."

"Whoever did is staying out of the action." Alice hummed, Jasper wrapping an arm around her.
"They must be playing with the blind spots in my visions."

"Either way, the army is coming." Jasper sighed, looking at Alice before moving his head to look at everyone else. "And there aren't enough of us to protect the town."

"Hold up." Jacob finally spoke, moving from his corner. "What damn army?" Carlisle and Edward share a look, having a silent conversation. Edward shakes his head, but Carlisle ignores him, speaking to Jacob now.

"Newborns. Our kind."

"What are they after?" Embry asks, standing near Odette and Carlisle.

"They were passing around Bella's scent. A red blouse." Alice recalled.

"They're after Bella?"

"What the hell does this mean?" Jacob snapped, a harsh glare on his face.

"It means an ugly fight. With lives lost."

The weight of it lands on all of them. Jacob shares a sober look with Embry and Quil. They share an imperceptible nod.

"Alright..." Jacob began, looking at Carlisle. "We're in."

"No." Bella answered for him, like a mother would her child. "Not gonna happen. You'll get yourselves killed, no way."

"I wasn't asking for permission." Sighing, the human looked at Edward, her eyes begging him to agree with her.

"It means more protection for you." Edward shrugged nonchalantly, making the brunette sigh.

"Do you believe Sam will agree to... an understanding?" Odette asked carefully.

"As long as we get to kill some vampires." Jacob smirked, fist bumping Embry.

"Jasper?" Carlisle moved to his other son, looking for his advise.

"They'll give us the numbers. And the newborns won't know they even exist. That'll give us an edge."

"We'll need to coordinate."