Chapter 43

Once we arrived at Sebastian's house, Max parked the car, and the two of us climbed out before making our way up the small winding path to the door.

After knocking, we barely had to wait for a second before the door suddenly swung open and Lara's happy warm face appeared in the doorway.

She looked Max up and down with a smile before she embraced him in a hug with a light giggle. I stood awkwardly beside them as Max started whispering something in her ear with a laugh while still hugging her.

The moment I saw Lara's hand start to roam a little too low on my brother's back, I aggressively cleared my throat. "Still present," I coughed out quickly.

Lara immediately pulled back away from him and adjusted her clothing and hair with a soft laugh. "Oh sorry, Phoebe," she said, her cheeks going slightly red. "Come in?" she said as she stepped out of the way of the door, and gestured for us to enter.

"Thanks," I said with a smile as I stepped past her, and into the house.

While Lara and Max started laughing and talking about something, I saw movement up the top of the stairs. Drawing my eyes curiously upward, I saw Sebastian start to make his way down the first few steps from the top while tiredly rubbing his eyes.

He ran a hand a couple times through the locks of his messy black hair, making it obvious he'd only just rolled out of bed not too long ago. That, coupled with the fact, he was wearing what looked like an old pair of grey joggers and a simple black t-shirt.

Normally, I wasn't that attracted to people's messy out-of-bed looks, but in Sebastian, I couldn't deny, it was doing some strange things to my belly.

"Lara, is that you?" Sebastian called out; his voice still slightly raspy from sleep. A weird feeling shivered down my spine from the sound of it alone. "Did you-"

Sebastian cut himself off, once he looked over the balcony of the stairs and locked eyes with me. He immediately froze, and his eyes widened with visible surprise, clearly not expecting me to be there.

Sebastian's eyes then flew to look down at his clothes and he muttered a light shit under his breath before running back up the stairs without a further word.

"Well, okay then...," I said slowly, as I tried to process his strange behavior. Lara stepped towards the kitchen with a light snort. "Whoops, I forgot to tell him you were coming," she chuckled.

Not offering a further explanation than that, she and Max trailed off to the kitchen, leaving me alone.

I hung awkwardly in the corridor for a few seconds to a minute as I contemplated whether to go upstairs to check in on Sebastian. That's when I suddenly heard the rapid beat of footsteps once more at the top of the stairs before Sebastian suddenly came back into view.

As he came down the stairs for a second time, I noticed his outfit change. Looking significantly smarter now, he had put on a new pair of jeans and a top, and his hair no longer looked messy and now laid in its normal put-together style.

He came to a stop right before me once he got to the bottom of the stairs, and looked me up and down before smiling. "Hey," he said.

I lifted an amused brow. "What's with the outfit change? Did you doll yourself up just to see me?" I teased.

Sebastian scoffed. "No, of course, not, I was going to change anyway," Sebastian said with a roll of his eyes.

I smiled knowingly, having enough common sense to know he'd been embarrassed for me to not see him at his best.

I'm not sure why he was embarrassed though. Even at his worst, Sebastian still looked insanely good. He was just one of those people who seemed to look annoyingly hot in every situation.