Chapter 46

Wrapped up in Sebastian's duvet, I stared out into the darkness of my room, listening aimlessly to every last creak that echoed out through the house.

I had been awake for a while now. My mind just didn't seem to want to fall asleep, and was instead determined as ever to worry about every last weird thought that had crossed my mind in the last few days. And all thoughts tied back to one person – Sebastian.

I swallowed, as I thought of him downstairs asleep on the sofa, lying all uncomfortable and alone because I'd taken over his bed.

I still couldn't believe the things he'd told me in the treehouse today. Him liking me back when we were young, was the last possibility I'd ever considered. It was a mystery, really why he ever did, but I guess he must have finally come to his senses, as he'd made it pretty clear he was no longer interested in me.

The weight of my thoughts became so distracting to the point I couldn't even get too close to sleeping so with a heavy sigh I kicked off my covers and swung myself out of bed. Maybe if I got myself a glass of water to drink, I might feel better. And it totally, wasn't because I wanted to check in on Sebastian.

Trying to be as quiet as I could, I crept quietly out of his room and down the stairs, not wanting to wake anyone up.

Once I got downstairs, I turned the corner and walked slowly over to the living room. The room was dark, only dimly lit by the light from the streetlamps coming in through the gaps in the window. Noticing slight movement, my eyes then drew over to the sofa where I immediately noticed Sebastian lying with his eyes gently closed underneath a cosy-looking blanket. The sofa had been pulled out into a kind of sofa bed, giving him a bit more space.

Watching the rhythmical rise and fall of his chest, I drew a little closer and stopped just short of the armrest near where his head lay.

It was unfair how good he seemed to look, even while asleep. Suddenly, Sebastian's throat sunk in as he swallowed.

"You know it's rude to watch someone while they're sleeping," Sebastian suddenly whispered before opening his eyes.

I physically jumped in shock upon the surprise of his voice before clutching a hand over my heart, to try and drive down my racing heartbeat.

Sebastian smiled amusedly at my reaction then propped himself up with an arm while still laying down. Stretching one arm up high in the air, he let out a long groan, drawing my eyes to the toned exposed muscles of his bare chest.

Relaxing on the sofa, he looked up at me with a smile. "Next time you secretly want to Edward Cullen me, maybe walk a little more quietly down the stairs so I don't hear you," he teased.

I frowned not pleased at being compared to a one hundred-and-something-year-old vampire stalker.

"Anyway, shouldn't you be upstairs in my bed? What are you doing down here other than stalking me?" Sebastian probed with a smile as he looked me up and down.

I gave him a deadened look. "You just love to keep putting emphasis that I was in your bed, don't you?"

Sebastian's lips raised higher, his eyes sparkling playfully. "Hey, it's not every day I'm going to get you in my bed."

I rolled my eyes and ignored the slight burn that was heating up my cheeks.

"But anyway, you haven't answered my question. Why aren't you sleeping?" Sebastian asked as he looked over me carefully.

"Oh, right, I just couldn't sleep because it's a bit chilly upstairs, so I came down here for a drink," I said with a shrug as I waved a flippant hand over to the kitchen.