Chapter 2

Mike awakes for the second day of school with a smile on his face. His thoughts have been completely captivated by Jane. All he can think about is her pretty eyes, her lips... her gorgeous smile. He wants to get to know her so bad, but he's afraid his awkwardness won't let him.

'But who am I kidding? What would a girl like that want with a guy like me?' Mike thinks to himself as he gets up from his bed.

This time Mike picks out a blue sweater, and another pair of black jeans.

He attempts to tame his hair once again, and fails. He takes one last look at himself in the mirror, and walks out of his room and down the stairs.

And for the second day in a row, he sees his dad sitting at the table, reading the newspaper. He says goodbye to both of his parents, and he's out the door again, ready for whatever the day might bring.

~

"Dustin, no it's not." Will rolls his eyes at what Dustin said.

The group is currently in an argument about who knows what. Mike has no idea what they are talking about because his eyes have been glued to the entrance to the courtyard this whole time.

Mike is about to give up hope, and that's when she walks in. Just like yesterday, she takes his breath away. He wants to walk over to her and talk, but he's not brave enough.

Instead he just continues to watch her. She walks through the courtyard until Jennifer Hayes calls her over to her friend group.

Jane's expression lights up, and she goes over to Jennifer and her friends.

'Well... I missed my chance. Good job Mike.'

"Earth to Mike?" Max waves a hand in front of his face.

"H-Huh?" Mike asks, snapping out of his daze.

"You good?" Lucas asks, "You kinda zoned out for a minute."

Mike nods a few times, "Y-Yeah, just tired." He lies. He then turns his attention back to his friends, forcing himself to look away from Jane.

On the other side of the courtyard, Jane spots Mike out of the corner of her eye. She wanted to find him when she walked in, but Jennifer called her over instead.

She pretends to be interested in whatever the girls are talking about, but she is really watching Mike and his group.

She sees a red headed girl, a dark skinned boy, and a brown haired boy, along with Dustin and Mike. By the way they are interacting with each other, she can tell they are all good friends. She wonders what they are all like.

Before she can dwell on it any longer, the bell rings, starting first period.

~

"And I found this pink shirt, and it was so cute!" Jennifer says to Jane as they walk into the classroom.

"I bet. That sounds great." Jane absentmindedly says. "Well... I'll talk to you after class." She says and begins walking over to Dustin.

"Dustin!" She smiles, happy to see him again.

Dustin looks alarmed to see her, "H-Hi?" He asks in a confused voice.

"How's it going?" She asks, trying to make conversation. She sits down in the desk next to him.

"Good. Uh... I'm not trying to be rude, but... why are you sitting beside me?" Dustin asks.

She is taken aback by the question, "Oh... I thought we were friends..." she says, feeling kind of hurt.