Chapter 3

The week quickly passes by, and it's now Friday, the day of the field trip. Mike is beyond excited for the trip to ESU, and he's also excited that Jane is going to be there too.

Mike quickly gets ready and skips down the stairs, a smile on his face.

"I'm guessing you're smiling because of a certain field trip?" Ted chuckles from his spot at the table.

"Mike is smiling?" A voice comes from the living room.

Mike rolls his eyes, "Huh, I forgot you still live here." He jokes to his sister, Nancy.

Nancy fake laughs, "Haha, funny."

"How are things going at the Bugle, Nancy?" Karen asks from the kitchen.

Nancy has been working for the Daily Bugle, the top news organization in the city, for about a year now.

"It's going pretty good. Mr. Bauman is an interesting character, as always."

Ah yes, the infamous Murray Bauman: the owner of the Daily Bugle. Mike has heard so much about the guy.

Nancy, Ted, and Karen then dive into conversation about Nancy's job, and Mike really doesn't care to listen.

"As much as I love hearing about Nancy's job, I've got to go." Mike sarcastically remarks.

"Have fun on your trip."

"I will, mom." Mike heads out the door.

~

Mike and Max arrive at school, and quickly go their separate ways. Mike stays in the courtyard, where the rest of his class is. He doesn't know anyone in this class, except for Jane, and she isn't here yet.

Jane arrives a few minutes later, getting out of her dad's truck. She is wearing a black dress with some black boots.

'She's so beautiful.'

Jane quickly spots Mike and her face lights up. She walks over to him, "Hey Mike." She sits beside him on the fountain.

"H-Hey Jane." Mike swallows harshly. He thinks she always looks beautiful, but today she's something else.

"Ready for the field trip?" She asks him, swinging her legs back and forth.

Mike can't maintain eye contact with her, "Y-Yeah... can't wait."

Jane giggles at his nervousness, "Have you ever been to ESU before?"

"Yeah my sister goes to college there." Mike responds.

"Sister?" Jane furrows her eyebrows, not knowing he had one.

"Yep, her name is Nancy." He nods his head.

"Hmmm.... What's she like?" Jane asks, furrowing her eyebrows at him.

"She's uh... annoying." He chuckles, "She actually dates Will's brother, Jonathan."

Jane has become well aquatinted with Mike's friends, occasionally sitting with them at lunch.

"Do you have any siblings?" Mike asks her, having no idea what he has just done.

Jane winces when he asks the question, "Umm... I-I would have... but..." Jane hesitates, wondering if she wants to tell him.

Mike notices her hesitation, "Hey I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."

Jane smiles at his kindness. He never wants to do anything to make her uncomfortable.

"No it's okay." Jane decides to tell him, "Before I was..." 'here it goes...' "Adopted... my dad had a daughter. B-But she got cancer and..."