Chapter 11

After weeks of investigating, Jonathan has figured out nothing. He cannot find anything on Larry Kline and Martin Brenner's history. So now, he is at his last resort.

Jonathan sighs one last time before knocking a few times on his step father's office door.

After a few moments Brenner calls out, "Come in."

Jonathan enters the office and examines the room that he has been in only a handful of times. There's not a single trace of humanity in this office. No pictures, no decorations, nothing.

The only thing in the office is what is absolutely necessary: a desk, a chair, a computer, and a printer.

"What do you need, Jonathan?" Brenner asks, not even bothering to look up at his step-son, his eyes glued to his computer.

"I umm... I'm doing a story on Larry Kline."

Brenner freezes for a split second before resuming his work, "And?"

"And I got an interview with him. And I barely got to ask anything before he recognized me as your step-son. He... his whole mood changed. He obviously doesn't like you."

Brenner doesn't react. There seems to be no emotions behind those cold, blue eyes.

"And I just wanted to know... what's the history between you two?" Jonathan finally asks what he's been dying to know.

Brenner finally looks up, and there's something unsettling in his eyes. Something makes Jonathan very uncomfortable all of the sudden.

"There's no history." Brenner says with no hesitation.

Jonathan just stands there, motionless, "What do you mean? There's... there gotta be something, anything."

Brenner slowly shakes his head, "There's nothing."

Jonathan huffs loudly. He knows he's lying. Jonathan can't stand to look at his "step-dad" any longer, and he walks out of the office.

When he shuts the door, his hand remains on the handle. He wants to go back there and demand Brenner to tell him what he wants to know. He silently debates going back in there, but Brenner's voice stops him.

"Hello?" Brenner says, his voice slightly muffled from the door.

Jonathan puts his ear to the door and listens closely.

"He wasn't able to steal the drive, it's still in the safe at Brenner Industries."

'Steal? Drive? Safe?' Jonathan asks himself.

"I don't know how they got in. He must have found a way to disable the alarms and security systems."

'He? Who is he?' Jonathan asks himself yet again.

"He will not continue to try to steal from us. He wants to ruin my business, but I won't allow it."

Jonathan wants so badly to jump to the conclusion that he is talking about Kline, but he knows that Brenner has made a great number of enemies over the years.

"Anyways, I've got to go. I have some business to do." Brenner hangs up the phone, and Jonathan hurries off.

~

School has been over for a while now, and Mike finds himself back at the Byers' penthouse, doing a project with Will.

They have both completed it, and are now getting everything packed up. They are supposed to meet the rest of the group at the arcade in just a few minutes.

"Mr. Burns is going to love this." Will says as he takes a step back to examine their project.

Before Mike can respond, the footsteps of another individual enter the room.