Chapter 19

Luke softly called Kasden's name for maybe the third or fourth time, urging him to come to bed. "You're already prepared for the test tomorrow; you're going to be too tired to take the test if you don't get some sleep."

     "Just five more minutes," Kasden protested.

     "That's what you said fifteen minutes ago, Kas." Luke came over to the counter where Kasden had his materials spread out, placed a marker on the page Kasden was reading and gently closed book. "You're going to do just fine, so come to bed, it's late and I can't sleep if you're out here."

     Kasden leaned back, stretching muscles that were tired and sore from hunching over his books all night. He reached back and pulled Luke onto his lap, turning his boyfriends face to his and kissing his plump lips. He squeezed the other boy's waist and leaned his head on Luke's shoulder.

     "You're too good to me, you know that?" He whispered into his lover's ear.

     "That I am," Luke giggled, which Kasden found adorable. "But if we don't get some sleep, neither of us are going to so well in class tomorrow." He kissed the taller boy before hopping down off his lap, taking his hand and leading him into the bedroom. Kasden stripped down to his boxers and snuggled up to his lover where he quickly fell asleep.

---

     Kasden completed the exam, placed it on the monitor's desk and quietly left the testing center. He was confident he'd passed; he knew the material and he'd put in extra time on his studies. Now came the wait. He always felt that waiting on the results to be posted was worse than taking the test. His nerves always kicked in after the fact; he was rarely nervous before taking a test. His friends thought he was strange that way. They were always nervous until the test started and then carefree afterwards.

     He had one more class before meeting up with his friends at the cafeteria for lunch, but he had some extra time because the test hadn't taken as long as he'd anticipated. On the walk to the building where his class was held, he stopped to watch a group of guys kicking a soccer ball around on the grass. Some girls watched the boys, cheering when someone they were rooting for got the ball. He watched them for a while before continuing on towards his class.

     When the class ended, he made his way to the cafeteria, stopping once to chat when he was called by a girl, Margo, from one of his classes. Her interest in him wasn't subtle, but he tried to pretend that he didn't notice. She might think him clueless, but he wasn't interested, and he didn't want to just come out and say it that bluntly. A few minutes later, she placed her hand on his arm, stroking her hand from his elbow up to his biceps.

     "Do you think you could come over to my place and we could get to know one another better?" She said, batting her eyes seductively. "I've noticed you in class, and I want to get to know you."

     "Sorry, Margo, I'm afraid not," Kasden politely declined. "I'm already in a relationship, so I'll have to decline."

     "Are you sure?" Margo continued. "She doesn't have to know, and we can just have some fun between us then."

     Kasden was taken aback. This wasn't the first time a girl had introduced herself hoping for it to lead somewhere, but it was the first time someone had been so brazen - and to assume he'd cheat on his significant other? He was completely put off by the thought that someone would think like that, and disgusted by her disregard for the fact that he'd told her he had a partner. Cheating on Luke was not something he'd even consider, not to mention the fact that he was gay and did not find her at all appealing; though he didn't say what was on his mind.

     "No, no thank you. I'll have to pass." Kasden couldn't hide his shock completely. "Anyway, I'm meeting up with some friends, so I have to take off. Have a nice afternoon, Margo."

     "If you change your mind, you..."

     "I won't change my mind." He cut her off, no longer interested in being polite. He left her staring after him as he walked away as quickly as he could.

     The encounter left him feeling dirty, somehow. The whole idea of cheating on Luke was disgusting, not to mention that the conversation left him feeling like he was no more than a piece of meat to her. He wanted nothing more than to go home and take a hot shower.

---

     When he told his friends about what happened while they were eating lunch, Bernice got outraged, calling the girl a 'homewrecker'. Luke just said that his boyfriend was a hottie and if Kasden needed him to fight off any more girls, to just let him know. Everyone laughed and the conversation turned to other things. After lunch they went to their usual spot in the library for a couple of hours study time. 

     Both of the boys had to go to their part-time jobs after the library; they did their best to get their shifts scheduled on the same days as much as possible, and today was one of those days where their shifts were at the same time. Those days where their shifts didn't coincide sucked since they weren't able to spend as much time together.

     The next few days passed about the same, classes, study, then work; the group was becoming accustomed to their new routine and their marks in class showed it. Even Davy's grades were better than what he'd expected; even including all the time he spent at his swim practices. It turns out that life at the university suited them.

---

    Kasden pulled Luke up tight against his body; he enjoyed snuggling with his boyfriend. After work, they'd watched a movie and had some much-needed romantic time together. Between work and school, they found that their time together was more special than it had been even before they moved in together. Kasden sighed contentedly at the feeling of holding Luke; the smaller boy fit perfectly against his chest, and he relished having him there. If God made someone special for each person, then he felt certain that Luke was the someone God had made for him.

    There were still times when Kasden felt guilt creep up on him, usually only when he was stressed. In those times, he tried to focus on the words of the kind old priest who had been his mentor, and friend. He still felt sad when he thought of the old man; nobody would ever be able to replace him in Kasden's heart. He wondered what the old priest would say about the girl who had propositioned him; he was sure that he would have had some wisdom to share. The old man had essentially given Kasden and Luke his blessing, even though the Catholic church frowned on gay couples. As he'd told the boy many times; "God doesn't make mistakes. You are the way God made you, so be the best you that you can be, and God will be pleased with you."

     Lying there, snuggled up with his drowsy boyfriend was the happiest Kasden had ever been. He said a silent prayer that this happiness would last and that they would always be together. He loved Luke more and more every day; his biggest wish in life was literally coming true. At the moment, he couldn't imagine there was anything that could go wrong.