Chapter 42

Chapter 42

A/N: Trigger warning: Homophobic content

     Aletha paused at the door of Kasden's apartment before knocking, three solid raps in quick succession. She was having second thoughts about the plan she and her mother had devised in yet another attempt to get Kasden to meet their pastor, Reverend Smith. They were certain that just by meeting the Reverend, Kasden would see the error of his ways and turn back to God from his sinful, gay ways. They could overlook his observance of Catholicism (he might convert if they were persistent), but there was no way they were going to allow one of the Barnes scions to live 'that lifestyle'.

     "Good afternoon, Mrs. VanPelt." Unexpectedly, it was Luke who answered the door rather than Kasden.

     Aletha barely withheld the disgusted shudder she felt at sight of the boy. This was the boy who'd led her son into the depths of the sin of homosexuality. This boy, who had the temerity to address her politely, was nothing more than a pervert who had preyed on her son's need for someone to love him (she failed to admit that she was the cause of that need).

     Though it pained her deeply, she wouldn't denounce the boy at this moment, this wasn't the time for denunciations, the time for that would come soon enough. She drew in a quick breath, put on the fake smile she used with those who were beneath her, and began to speak.

     "Good afternoon, young man. I've come to speak with my son, can you inform Kasden that I'm here?" Without waiting for an invitation, she pushed past the surprised boy and seated herself on their couch.

     "Kasden isn't here right now, but he should be home from work shortly. Is there anything I can get you? Something to drink? We have juice, diet soda, or water if you'd prefer."

     "No thank you, Luke, was it? I don't need anything at the moment. Please don't mind me while I wait." She dismissed the boy with a brief flick of her hand.

     "Okay then, don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything." Luke said, taking the textbook he had open and placing it on the counter. He was too uncomfortable to continue reading while his boyfriend's imperious mother glared at him. Her words were polite, but if looks could kill...

     He walked to the sink and began washing the dishes that he'd used earlier while cooking dinner for him and his boyfriend. That dinner was being kept warm in the oven waiting for Kasden to get home.

---

     "Kasden, thank God you're finally home." Aletha exclaimed, getting to her feet as soon as her son entered through the apartment door a few minutes later. Hearing her, one would conclude that she'd been waiting far longer than the short time she'd been seated there.

     Looking at his mother waiting in his apartment, Kasden could be forgiven for the negative thoughts that were the first things that came to his mind. What was she doing here? Nothing good, he surmised; the two of them weren't on the best of terms; especially since their argument over his grandmother's threat about taking his scholarship away.

     "Why are you here?" He came directly to the point.

     Aletha wasn't at all surprised by the question; she was asking herself the same thing. "Mother has invited everyone to dinner Sunday evening at seven; she asked me to inform you that it was casual and that you needn't dress up."

     "Who is going to be there, and is Luke also invited?" Kasden asked. "Because if Luke isn't invited, then I won't be going either."

     "Why would he be invited to your family's get together?" Aletha asked showing her confusion. This was an unexpected turn of events for which she was unprepared.