Chapter 22

Chapter 22

     Everyone gathered around the ledger board where the grades from the mid-terms had just been posted. Kasden wasn't concerned about his own results, he'd studied hard, and was confident he'd done well. But he was curious to see how well Larsen had done after all the time Kasden has spent tutoring him during their study sessions.

     Larsen's older brother was paying Kasden to tutor the younger sibling so that he wouldn't be kicked off the swim team. If Larsen failed this exam, he wouldn't be allowed to compete until his grades improved. 

     He was also curious to see whether or not he was an adequate tutor; the extra money Lennox had paid him to tutor his brother was a nice bump in his meager funds from his part-time job at the bakery. If Larsen did well, Kasden might just consider tutoring a few more students.

     "Woo Hoo!" A loud cheer from over by the boards drew his attention to the source of the commotion; it was Larsen, at the front of the line whooping at the top of his lungs that he's passed with a B-. A B- was a huge improvement, considering he'd been practically failing the class before Kasden got involved with the brothers. Larsen raced back to where Kasden was waiting, patiently, for his own turn to check the results, he grabbed Kasden around the waist and swung him around like a rag doll, even though Kasden was no lightweight himself. 

     "Hey Len, I passed," he shouted to his brother who had just rounded the corner. "We need to get everyone together to celebrate and have a game night. I'm so excited! You saved my ass, Kas, I don't know what I'd have done if you hadn't helped me out. Being on the team means the world to me. Truly, I am so grateful."

     The passion Larsen was showing made Kasden turn red. No matter how much he was tutored, if Larsen didn't put in the effort, it would have been futile. He made it happen, Kasden just helped him along.

     Lennox agreed with Larsen after seeing that his brother had passed the test. "I'll message the group chat and we can all meet up at our place Friday night. I'm sure mom and dad won't mind." He informed his little brother, the two of them making plans for a small get together at the end of the week.

---

     "Whoa!" Penny gasped, her eyes bugging out as the group of friends pulled up to the address Lennox had texted them. The red-brick house was massive - easily twice the size of Davy's house back in Wattston, and his house was big. It was three stories plus a basement, had a wide front lawn, manicured to the edge of perfection with a driveway that seemed to go on forever. It was beautiful. 

     There were already several cars parked in the driveway, indicating that some of the rest of the brother's friends were already here.

     Davy parked the car and quickly jumped out, raced around the car to open the passenger door for Bernice - since they had recently started dating and he was acting the gentleman for once in his life.

     Luke, Kasden and Penny climbed out of the back seat (Penny's description of the squish mobile being proved an accurate description). All of them a were a bit overwhelmed at the thought of going into such a luxurious home.

     "Is this really the right place?" Luke wondered aloud. No wonder the brothers thought nothing of paying Kasden so handsomely for tutoring; money would be no object to the people who lived here.

     They made their way to the elegant front door where Davy tentatively pressed the doorbell. A pleasant melody sounded on the other side of the door, announcing their arrival.

     The door was opened by an adorable little girl of about six or seven, dressed in a stylish navy-blue jumper with a Sailor Moon character embossed on the front. She was blond, unlike her older brothers, and had sparkling blue eyes which were highlighted by blue ribbons that matched her outfit, tied around her ponytails.