Chapter 47

Chapter 47

      Mr. Milton, the headmaster of St. Jerome's Orphanage, and Father Benjamin pulled away from Kasden's apartment complex where they'd just left Simon and Trevor to spend the weekend with their friends. They'd come to the city for the weekend to attend meetings with various donors to the orphanage. When Simon had learned that Mr. Milton would be going to the city, he'd begged the headmaster to let him go and stay with Kasden while the two men were there. Trevor was included at the last minute. They had two days before they had to return to Wattston late Sunday evening.

     The headmaster had confirmed with Kasden that it was okay for the two boys to stay over, and that he'd be home and could accommodate them for the weekend before he agreed to allow them to come on the trip.

     Since the first meeting with Kenton's family, Kasden and Luke had gotten into the habit of attending Sunday dinners at the James' residence as often as possible. Kasden called his father to cancel for the coming Sunday due to his weekend guests, but instead, Kenton had invited all of them to dinner. When he was told of the priest and headmaster, he'd gladly included the two adults in the invitation. He said that he would like, very much, to meet the men who had taken care of his son for all those years.

     Kasden was much more at ease at his father's home than at the Barnes'; he felt like he belonged there, which could hardly be said about most of the other side of his family where he usually felt out of place - with the exception of a few of them.

     When Davy and the girls found out that Simon would be coming, they'd insisted on being included in the weekend's activities. The study group had since grown by five with the addition of Margaret and Stephanie, who were now regulars along with Lennox and Larson. Oliver had also become a fixture in the group on account of Stephanie's presence; the pair had quickly become an item.

     When the girls saw Trevor, they immediately fell in love with the little boy, and took it on themselves to spoil him as much as they could get away with. They made it a competition between them to see who could spoil him the most. The boy adored the attention, soaking it up, and egging the girls on in a competition to spoil the little rascal even more; he was in heaven.

     Lennox and Larsen remembered meeting the two boys during their visit to Wattston for the barbecue. When they found out Trevor was coming, they'd asked if they could bring Samantha along. It was also a chance for Kasden to spend some time with his little sister too. Once everyone arrived at the apartment, they set out on their adventure. Most of the things they planned had been suggested by the two brothers, since the rest of the group was still learning about all the things to do in Trenton. Most of the things they planned for the day were going to be a first for the group from Wattston, as well as for Simon and Trevor.

     The first activity scheduled was a tour of the campus, since Simon would be joining them at the university at the beginning of the next year. Then they visited some of the tourist spots in the city that Lennox had suggested. They went to an aquarium, they rode to the top of the tallest building in Trenton and looked out over the city, amazed at the view from up on top. 

     They were currently visiting the Trenton Metropolitan Museum with Trevor was riding on Kasden's shoulders having grown tired from being on his feet all morning. Samantha was riding on Lennox's shoulders as she, too, had grown tired and wanted the same treatment that Trevor was getting. She clearly had her older brothers wrapped around her finger.

     They ate lunch at a street vendor's where they enjoyed some of the best taco's they'd ever had, and when the day was over, they went to a nice little diner that Larsen suggested. The day turned out to be one of the best days Kasden had spent in the city, getting to spend it with the people he loved most.