Chapter 43

Chapter 43

     Kasden and Luke arrived at the restaurant ten minutes early. He was more nervous meeting his father's family than he'd been meeting the Barnes' family; he wasn't exactly sure why that was. Perhaps it was because he didn't expect to fit into the Barnes family; they were the complete opposite to him - wealthy, cultured, and such. He was a simple man raised to expect a simple existence.

     With his father's family, though, his expectations were different. Kenton had assured him that his wife and kids were very excited to finally be able to meet him. Before he re-married, he'd informed his wife that he had a son from a previous marriage that he wasn't able to see due to his ex-wife. His twins had known they had an older brother from the time they were born; there was a picture of Kasden as a child framed on the wall with all the other family pictures.

     Kasden was still getting used to the idea that his father wanted him; that the James family wanted him. He was trying to accept the fact that his last name was James and not Williams. All his documents still identified him as Kasden Williams - except his real birth certificate, which he now had a valid copy.

     "Right this way, follow me please." The hostess led the two boys back to a table where Kenton, his wife and children were already seated, waiting for them.

     "Your server will be right with you." She stated in a bored tone before walking away.

     "Kasden! I'm so happy you could make it tonight." His father greeted, jumping out of his seat and giving his son a warm hug.

     "You must be Luke, right?" Kasden told me a little about you the other night when we met.

     "I'm Kenton, most people call me Ken. It's a pleasure to meet you." He said, shaking the boy's hand vigorously, and then with an 'Oh, what the hell' attitude, he pulled Luke into a warm hug as well. To say the two boys were surprised would be an understatement.

     "Let me introduce everyone." He turned to his family still seated at the table while watching the entire event with excitement.

     "Kelsey, kids, this is the moment I've been looking forward to for many, many years. This is my oldest son, Kasden, your older brother (he said to the two youngsters) and his boyfriend, Luke."

     "Boys, this is my wife, Kelsey, and those are our children, the twins, Kolton and Kori. They're eight years old, and quite a handful, let me tell you." The subjects didn't say anything, but Kori just rolled her eyes as if to say: 'you always say that'. Kelsey got up and came around the table to give each of the boys another hug.

     "It's great to finally meet you, Kasden. Ken talks about you all the time; he's missed you so much. He wasn't kidding when he said you look just like he did when he was younger." She greeted. "Please sit down, we have so much to talk about."

     "And you Luke, you're so handsome yourself, you two make a lovely couple." She continued.

     At that moment their waiter arrived and interrupted the happy reunion. "May I take your drink orders?" He asked, taking out a pad to write the order on.

     Kasden ordered an iced tea, he always ordered that whenever he ate out. It was the same drink his father also ordered as well, also his favorite. Luke ordered a root beer, Kelsey ordered water for herself and lemonades for the twins."

     "I want a soda." Kori objected, but her mother held firm, stating that if the girl drank a soda, it would wind her up and she would end up not being able to sleep later.