Chapter 28

Chapter 28

     Kasden's phone buzzed in his pocket interrupting his concentration. He was working on a paper for his Creative Writing course. He had two weeks to complete the paper, but he wasn't one to leave his homework until the last minute.

     He read the number on the caller-ID of the small screen, 'Unknown Caller'; he pressed 'decline call' and went back to his paper. The phone buzzed again - same number - 'damn it, who could this be?'; this time he was tempted to block the number, instead he swiped 'accept call' and put the phone to his ear (he'd missed a few important calls by blocking every unknown caller since the exposé about his mother).

     "Hello?" He answered the call with an edge of irritation in his voice. "Who is this?"

     "Kasden, dear, this is Virginia Barnes, your maternal grandmother". The caller announced as if she'd always been part of his life. He could almost taste the artificial sweetener through the saccharine tone of her voice.

     "Your mother and I thought it would be nice for you to join us for brunch this Sunday at our Country Club. We'll see you at 10:00, I'm looking forward to seeing you. I can send you directions, or if you'd prefer, I can have my driver pick you up if that would be more convenient for you."

     'What the hell?' He was struck by the sheer arrogance of the woman to assume he'd drop everything just to go eat out with someone who he didn't even know.

     Adding insult to injury, Aletha - he refused to think of her as 'mother' - would be there. The woman who'd made it abundantly clear that she wanted nothing to do with him. Finally, what was with the use of the word 'Dear'? What gave her the right to use that word with him; they'd never even met (that he could recall).

     "No thank you," his response was immediate, and somewhat curt, even though he did his best to keep his voice as polite as possible in the situation. "I already have plans for Sunday, and I have a paper that I'm working on right now, so I have to go. Thank you for the invitation, but I'll have to decline." 

     "Okay, that's fine, dear. Which day would be best for you? I'm sure we can work together to find a good time." The woman was persistent, he had to give her that.

     Kasden didn't want to be rude, but he had no interest in meeting with his 'grandmother', or Aletha on any day at any time. He felt no need, nor desire, to meet his mother's family.

     "I'm sorry, ma'am, but I am busy with school and work; I won't be able to join you anytime soon. Again, thank you for the invitation, pardon me but I have to go now... goodbye." He ended the call without waiting for the woman to speak again.

     Annoyed by the unwelcome caller, he shook his head to clear it and returned to the paper displayed on his notebook screen. The first draft was almost finished, and he wanted to complete the last few pages before calling it a day.

---

     Kasden stretched his back in relief, glad for the brief respite from eager customers clamoring for the delicious sweets in the bakery's display case. The morning had been very busy, and his shift was almost over; 30 minutes to go and he'd head over to the library to meet with his friends for a few hours of intense study time. 

     Penny and Bernice planned to be there early today; Penny had waited until the last minute to write her history paper and had decided to go there early in a desperate attempt to do in two days what she should have been working on over the last two weeks. He chuckled thinking about her panic when she realized how little time was left, but that was Penny for you, always waiting until the last minute. Luke had promised her he'd help her out.

     The plan for today was to study for a few hours, then get a bite to eat afterwards before heading to the arcade to play some laser tag. They were due a night out for some fun; they'd been studying so much lately that none of them had had time for a decent break.

     The bell above the door chimed as two women walked into the bakery. The older woman wore a stern expression on her face, as if she found the idea of coming into such a place distasteful. The younger woman, in her early forties, also looked as if she would rather be anywhere else but here (for good reason). The last time she'd been in the bakery, things had turned out rather badly for her.

     "Stacey, can you cover for me out front?" Kasden called his coworker to come out from the kitchen. "I can't deal with her today," he pointed to his mother and the woman he could only assume was his maternal grandmother, making their way to the counter.

     "Sure, no problem." Stacey assured him, recognizing his mother from the time when she had caused Kasden so much distress.

He vanished through the doors into the back of the bakery before either of the women had a chance to say anything to him.

     "Would you call Kasden back out front, please?" Aletha requested in an imperious tone. She was annoyed, having seen the boy disappear into the back in an obvious attempt to avoid her.

     "I'm sorry ma'am," the girl replied. Kasden is busy in the back and can't come out right now, but I can take your order for you instead. What can I get for you?"

     "You can tell my grandson to come out here right now," the elderly woman commanded. She was clearly used to ordering people around, and having them jump to do her bidding, no questions asked.

     "No, ma'am." Stacey refused politely. "I can't do that. Kasden doesn't want to talk to you. If you're not going to order, then can you please move aside? There are people waiting behind you."

     Virginia Barnes was taken aback by the girl's impertinence; it wasn't often (ever!) that someone refused to fulfill her demands. "Young lady, I'll have you know th..."

     "I'm sorry, ma'am. Kasden is unavailable right now," the girl interrupted. "If you're not going to order, and you won't leave then I will be forced to call the police."

---

     Kasden was able to avoid his grandmother the second time she came into the bakery, using the same tactic he'd used the first time. The third time, though, he wasn't as fortunate. Stacey was late for work, so he was the only person manning the store and couldn't escape into the back when the women arrived.

     "Hello, Kasden, I'm Virginia Barnes, your grandmother." Virginia introduced herself upon reaching the counter.

     "I know who you are." Kasden replied, making no effort to be polite. He was tired of playing cat-and-mouse with the women.

     "Your grandfather's seventieth birthday is approaching, and we would be delighted to have you attend. It will be the perfect opportunity for you to meet the rest of the family. Everyone is simply dying to get to know you."

     Kasden could already feel his stomach knot up. There were already more than enough people trying to weasel themselves into his life since the article had been published. He could avoid them because they had no ties; but it was different with his mother's family. These people could make a claim on him, tenuous though it might be, relatives didn't fall into the same category as reporters and paparazzi.

     He didn't really know how to respond to the invitation. "I'm sorry ma'am, but I don't see why I need to attend. I don't know your family, and your daughter (his way of avoiding the word 'mother') has made it very clear that she doesn't want me involved in her life. I don't think it's a good idea for me to attend a family gathering." 

     "Nonsense, my boy." Virginia ignored his reasoning and continued to push him to agree.

     Luckily for Kasden, customers were beginning to file into the bakery again and he was able to excuse himself from the conversation to take care of them. He reiterated his decision as he excused himself.

     Stacey had arrived for her shift as well and took over the front counter so Kasden could go into the back and start washing the pans that were waiting by the sink. Washing dishes, it turned out, was far less of a challenge than dealing with Virginia Barnes.