4 | Instinct

"When I'm away from you, I'm happier than ever."

~ Billie Eilish, Happier Than Ever

The lycanthrope stood in the middle of the living room, shoulders squared and neck held high as any soldier would, but his eyes were glued to the ground

The lycanthrope stood in the middle of the living room, shoulders squared and neck held high as any soldier would, but his eyes were glued to the ground. He just stood there and waited as if the couch wasn't two feet in front of him. It was as if he were... waiting for something?

Her breath immediately caught in her throat when she looked at him- I mean, really looked at him for the first time. Muscles rippled across every part of his toned body. He was a giant, really. Not just in muscle mass, but overall height. He had thick, loose curls for hair that were dark brown, nearly black. He had a well-defined chin and jaw that was covered in light facial hair. His lips appeared soft and plump to hide his dangerously sharp teeth behind them. Beneath his dark brows, his golden eyes were as direct as expected, not even blinking as much as the average person.

Now begged the question: what in the world was she supposed to do with him?

Her nerves were at an all time high, the adrenaline making her body tremble. If he wanted to hurt her, wouldn't he have done it by now? What did he even want with her? She was in this position because of him, after all.

Even from where he was on the opposite side of the living room, unbeknownst to her, he could hear her frantically racing heart and her quick, short breaths. She was scared, he realized. Rightfully so. What he did that night was out of character for him as a person, but not entirely for a lycan.

"Are you going to hurt me?" The sentence came out rushed, like it had been brewing inside her and just had to get it out there.

He hesitated, making her stomach churn in tense, tight cramps. While she believed it was because he had to think on the question, it was actually because he was hurt she'd think so.

Subtlety, he shook his head once.

To be honest, she didn't know why she asked that. He could be lying for all she knew. The only hope she had was the book said he wouldn't and he hadn't hurt her as of yet.

She sucked in a sharp breath and firmly told him, "I'm not sure what your plan is here, but this is my home. I make the rules and I expect you to respect them, and me. So just... whatever you're hoping to get from me, throw all your expectations out now. I'm just here to help you get adjusted to society. Understood?" Though she tried to be firm, her wavering voice was anything but.

Slowly, he nodded.

She released a breath she didn't know she was holding. "Good." She decided. After a long stretch of silence, from the other side of the room, she asked him, "would you like me to show you your room?"

He didn't look up and said nothing.

She tried again. "It's up the stairs, this way."

He took a small, single step towards her. It was just enough for her to know he was listening. It wasn't until then it dawned on her that there was a possibility he didn't speak. However, at the very least, he could have nodded.