I'd protect you

The next day, Peter woke up in a much better mood - despite the fact that it was 7am. He walked out of his room and found Charles making a cup of coffee for Erik.

"Morning Charles." Peter smiled.

"Good morning Peter, how are you feeling?" Charles responded.

"Very good actually," Peter smiled "I wanted to thank you for what you did the other day."

Charles turned around and faced Peter, "It's quite alright Peter."

Peter grabbed a glass from the shelf then filled it with water and drank deeply. Charles grinned at him before carefully rolling into his and Erik's room, trying his hardest not to spill the coffee.

Charles placed the coffee on the nightstand before leaning over and gently shaking Erik awake. Erik opened his eyes with a start but relaxed when his eyes met Charles' brilliant blue ones.

"Morning." Erik grumbled.

Charles laughed at his grumpy husband "I made you coffee."

Erik's eyes widened slightly "You're amazing."

He grabbed the coffee from the nightstand and took a sip.

"I know." Charles grinned cheekily.

Erik rolled his eyes before leaning over and giving Charles a kiss on the cheek.

A crash and a yelp of pain came from the living room. Erik bolted out of bed and shouted "Whoever hurt Peter is going to pay."

He burst into the living room and saw Raven and Kurt helping Peter who had evidently dropped his glass of water.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Raven commented.

"Oh it's you two." Erik responded rudely.

Kurt looked frightened so Charles (who had just wheeled himself into the room) called "Don't worry Kurt, he's not had his coffee."

Peter chuckled and gave Kurt a one armed hug.

"Did anyone else noticed Erik's willingness to protect Peter - it was almost as though he though of him as a son." Raven smirked.

Peter's eyes widened and before he could comprehend what he asked "Would you protect me - if I were your son?"

Erik turned to face Peter, "yes, if you were my son, I'd protect you from anything."

Peter was filled with a joy like no other, he dropped his gaze to the floor so that no one would spot the tears that had Welles in his eyes. Charles rolled over to him which made Peter look up. The expression on his face was one that was hard to decipher. It seemed to be a mixture of shock, understanding and happiness.

"I would also protect you from anything...if you were my son." Charles murmured.

Peter's heart stopped beating. All the blood drained from his face. The amount of passion in Charles' voice made one thing quite clear. His worst nightmare had become true. Charles had figured out Peter's sacred secret.

"What time are we leaving today?" Kurt asked quietly.

"In half an hour." Erik responded grumpily before turning and walking back into the room he shared with Charles.

"He's gone to have his coffee, so he's in a better mood in the car." Charles chuckled.

"Who cares if he's in a bad mood, he's not driving today - I am." Raven stated.

"Are you sure that's a good idea mom?" Kurt whispered.

Charles' grin widened "congratulations on finding him Raven."

Raven smiled at Charles before turning to her son "it probably isn't a good idea but I really want to drive today as I need something to do."

Kurt laughed before asking shyly "could I sit in the front with you?"

"I don't mind sitting in the back." Charles commented.

Raven shot him an appreciative glance before nodding. Tentatively, Kurt hugged Raven before thanking her (and Charles).

"You don't mind going in the middle do you Peter?" Charles asked.

Peter shook his head - avoiding catching Charles' eyes before mumbling something about getting ready for the day and walking out, his mind racing.