Who doesn't love and existential crisis in the shower?

As he was showering, Peter's thoughts seemed to be rushing through his head faster than usual. He was trying to think of so many different things, nothing was making sense any more.

To be perfectly honest, nothing ever made sense. "Why on earth would Erik want him as a son - he's just a lonely loser after all. What's the point of telling Erik that he was his son, he'd probably hate him anyway. I'm just a nobody, I'm not good enough for Erik."

Peter sat down and hid his head in his hands. The steaming water scorched His skin but he didn't care. All he could do was overthink and, despite how embarrassing it was, cry.

He didn't know how long he sat in the shower but what he did know was there was a knock at the door.

"Peter, are you alright, you've been in the shower for over half an hour." The calm voice of Charles called out from the other side of the door.

Peter hastily got out of the shower and dressed. He pulled open the door and stared at Charles.

"Sorry." Peter mumbled.

Charles caught sight of Peter's rather red eyes and, without taking his eyes of the young boy, he called softly "Erik, change of plans, you get in the shower. I need to sort something out first."

Peter stared at Charles before allowing the handicapped man to lead him over to the sofa.

"Alright Charles." Erik called before walking into the bathroom and shutting the door.

The hotel room was empty except for the three of them as Hank, Kurt and Raven had gone to putting luggage into the car.

"What's wrong Peter?" Charles asked gently, resting his hand on Peter's arm comfortingly.

Peter looked down at his feet and whispered "he'll never want me."

As soon as he had spoken, Charles pulled him into a hug.

"That's not true Peter. Erik thinks of you as a son so I can tell you this, he'd be thrilled to know that you are his son." Charles reassured him kindly.

Peter stared up at Charles and chuckled "Who doesn't love an existential crisis in the shower?"

Charles smiled at him then stated "Peter, I care a lot about you. You are my husband's son which in a way makes me your stepfather but I'd like to be a parental figure to you. If you don't want me to I'll back off but you should know that I love you as though you were my own child and I want to be here for you when you need help."

Peter's eyes shined with tears, after noticing how nervous Charles looked he grinned "does that mean I can call you mom?"

Charles beamed then chuckled "you can call me mom if you want or you can call me Charles, I don't really mind."

Peter threw himself at Charles and hugged him tightly "thanks mom, I love you."

Charles hugged him back tightly "I love you too kiddo."