ten

Kim Yu-jin
18/09/20

If you asked me how I expected my day-off from school to be spent, I would say Netflix. I sure as hell didn't expect my day to be spent in a hospital, outside the ER where they are operating on Heeseung. We don't know much besides the fact that he broke his knee and that they are operating on it. I'm sitting on the bench outside the room with Sunoo, Jay and Heeseung's older brother, Heedo.

Sunoo offered to take me home and come back to the hospital after but I didn't want to leave him alone. Part of me also wanted to be there for Heeseung.

A very small part.

The door to the ER opened, revealing the doctor who made his way to Heeseung's brother, He exchanged a few words with Heedo. When he was done, he left while Heedo made his way towards us, "good news, the surgery was a success but the bad news is that Heeseung is out for the season."

"Oh, thank goodness," Jay let out a breath, a mixture of relief and frustration. Heeseung is his best friend. There may be seven of them but the two of them have a closer bond, a friendship that runs deeper than the one they share with the rest of the group. Seeing Heeseung like this must be devastating for him.

"Can we see him now?" I ask Heedo.

"The doctor said that he is still out from the anesthesia so we should wait until he wakes up."

I nod, not knowing what to say.

"Come on Yujinah, let's go get something to eat," Sunoo says, grabbing onto my shoulder.

I give another nod allowing my brother to take me to the cafe.

"So what do you want to eat?" Sunoo asks, looking at the menu.

"I'm not hungry, just get me a coffee or something." It was true, I wasn't hungry. I don't really eat all that much and when I do, I throw it up out of fear of gaining weight but I obviously don't tell my brother that piece of information.

He places our orders and we just wait. In silence.

Until I decide to finally break it by asking Sunoo, "what's going to happen now with Heeseung?"

Sunoo let's put a sigh. "You heard what the doctor said Yujinah, he can't play for the rest of the season because of his knee injury. He is not going to take this well."

"But there has to be something that you can do. Isn't there like therapy or extra treatment he can do so he can play again."

"I wish I knew Yujinah. I really wish I did."

"I-" I am cut off from a phone ringing.

My phone.

"Hello," I answer the call.

"Yu-jin, Heeseung is awake."