Chapter Eight

The smell of eggs and bacon wafted through the house, all the way up to my room. I lifted my phone from the bedside table and checked the time- it was only 6:00am. Slipping out my bedroom door, I walked downstairs and into the country kitchen. The light was on, and there was someone standing by the hob. They looked too short to be Uncle John. They wore a checkered short sleeve shirt, wrangler-fit jeans and a broad-rimmed cowboy hat sat atop their short, shaggy brown hair. 

Suddenly, they turned around, holding a frying pan in their right hand.

"Hey, Amy right? John's niece?" His voice was youthful, appealing. He pulled a lopsided grin. 

"Uh, yeah," I felt myself blushing. I must look dreadful- my face tomato red, hair tangled and messy, still dressed in my frog-wearing-a-tiara pyjamas! "Who are you?"

"Jacob," He held out his free hand for me to shake, which I gladly took. "I help out here for Old John sometimes. Speaking of which, he's just gone out to meet some friend of his. He should be back in a few hours though." 

Good. I thought- I would be able to see Spirit today without sneaking out. 

"You a rider?" Jacob asked, dishing the bacon onto two plates.

"Er... no." I said, taking my plate to the dining table..

"I supposed so," Jacob explained. "I guess there aren't many ranches in the city..." There was a short, awkward pause, until- "I could teach you some time though, if you wanted? I mean, there's plenty of horses here that need exercising so..."

"Yes!" I shrieked. Oops. "Uh... I mean, sure, if you wanted to."

"Great," Jacob pulled that grin again. "We start on Monday."

Mmm... so... do y'all think Amy has just a teeny weeny crush on Jacob? 

Anndd, can you imagine Amy as a rider? Will she ever ride Spirit??