Chapter Fourteen

I was walking down to the barn to check on Spirit. It was past 5:00pm now, so no more visitors should be coming in until tomorrow. 

I stopped at the barn door, which was slightly ajar, and could hear an unfamiliar voice coming from inside.

"And you must be Spirit..." The stranger said. "Wow, you're beautiful aren't you?"

I swiftly slid the door open, my cheeks burning. Who was this intruder? Inside, a girl stood outside Spirit's stall. I couldn't see her face, just her glossy blonde hair hanging loose around her shoulders. 

I could see Spirit backed up an the far end of the stall, the whites of his eyes showing with fear.

"Get away from him!" I snapped, concerning the girl.

"Why?" She stuck her hand on her hip."He doesn't belong to anyone- he's wild." The girl turned to face me. She looked around my age, I think, but she had smothered so much makeup on, it was hard to tell. 

"Actually," I strode over to the stall. "He's mine. Who are you anyway?"

The girl narrowed her eyes at me, lightly pouting her glossy lips, before sticking out her hand. "Georgia Walker. And you are?" 

"Amy. Amy Taylor." I reluctantly accepted her handshake and noticed her perfectly manicured nails and compared them to mine, which were chewed and dirty. I guess that's what you get if you live on a ranch. 

Georgia pulled her hand away and gave it a brisk wipe on her fur jacket.

"I suppose I better go," Georgia finally said. But then, she turned her back on me and looked at Spirit again with greedy eyes. "I'll be seeing you real soon." She whispered to him. 

Then, with one final fake smile, she slipped out of the barn.

I unlatched Spirit's stall door. He flared his nostrils, his ears pricked and eyes wary.

"It's okay, boy," I soothed. "It's just me. She's gone." Reluctantly, Spirit edged forward to meet me, sniffing my empty palms in search for treats.

"Sorry, boy, nothing today!" I laughed. Having Spirit around soothed me about Georgia and her stupid whispers, but deep down, I still had a feeling we hadn't seen the last of her.